Old 07-16-2012   #1
longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Green Mtn Dam

Does anyone know what time the gate opens weekdays and weekends to drive down to the blue river below green mtn dam? Thanks for your help.

slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #2
Send a message via AIM to damax101
8am - 8pm including weekends and holidays

damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #3
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Was there a couple weeks ago on a Sunday and the gate was open at 6:30a.m., also didn't see the usual guard truck after the run either.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
unless something has changed in the last 2 years...... 8:00pm means that the gate is back down and you get fucked for a tow and $300-$400 bucks.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #5
Send a message via AIM to damax101
I once lost track of time enjoying a few adult beverages at the take out and didn't make it back up till about 8:15pm. The gate was closed but the guard was there waiting and allowed me to go grab my car. He was really friendly, but did give me a stern warning.

If your worried, just park in one of the dirt pull-offs above the gate and walk down.
damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #6
., .
Paddling Since: .
6:30 to 8:00 everyday

There are two signs if you read them that haven't changed for a long time, also FYI the Summit County Sheriff does the car check on weekends in case you've been drinking adult beverages.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #7
Moab, Utah
recent visit on 6/30

i was there on saturday 6/30, and did not get back until after the gate was down. i had left my motorcycle in the parking area at the bottom of the hill, so i had to walk down to get it. i was able to ride it out and get around the gate, and i did not have a ticket on my motorcycle. the sheriff or other security patrol guy was not sitting at the top of the hill that night, so no evil stares or scoldings.

i have heard from chatter at the put in that if your vehicle is left inside after the gate is down you can walk down to get it, and then the gate will open from the inside when you drive up to it because it is on a sensor loop. i have never had to confirm this nor have i seen anyone else do it, but my motorcycle was too small to trigger the sensor loop (if it is there) so i just pushed it around the gate to get out. this scenario also runs the risk of getting a ticket from the sheriff or security patrol.

last year there was an old bike at the bottom of the hill in the parking lot that could be used to shuttle your vehicle and trailer up the hill. just throw the bike on your empty trailer, drive up the hill to park at the dirt lots mentioned outside the gate, then coast down on the bike and leave it there for the next guy. mad karma to whoever left the bike there last year, but i didn't see it on 6/30 so it may have got cleaned out this year.

in addition, on the night when i picked up my motorcycle there was a pickup truck with a camper shell still parked in the lower lot at 9.30pm after dark. i saw someone walking around with a flashlight, and it appeared the guy was sleeping in his truck there for the night. not sure if the security/sheriff just didn't check that night, but it sure seemed like the guy parked down there had no intention of leaving so maybe the no overnight parking and ticket enforcement is not as stringent this year. good luck with whatever you chose to do, later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #8
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Did it three or four years ago. If you get to the putin after 5 the gate closes. Walk around through a small opening and drive your car back up. There WAS a sensor there a few years ago but if I remember you need to pull up close to activate it.
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #9
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Originally Posted by slowboat View Post
Does anyone know what time the gate opens weekdays and weekends to drive down to the blue river below green mtn dam? Thanks for your help.
6:30am-8pm. On a couple signs, one at the top of the hill near the gate just as you start down the road and another on a tree just to the left of the main parking area in plain view.

Maybe if we collectively ask Kara, O Mighty River Goddess, Pretty Please and with All Due Praise, Tribute and Honor As We Are Your Humble and Grateful Yet Unworthy Servants In Your Presence, the times can be changed. After all, there's really no reason to have the gate at the top when the gate at the bridge going over to the facility provides security.

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote