Old 08-30-2012   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Green Flaming Gorge B Section Red Creek

We're floating the Green A and B sections below Flaming Gorge this weekend. We're camping above Red Creek rapid so will be floating out through Red Creek early Mon morning. Flows are being stepped up from 800 to 1300 to 1700 during the day, so it looks like we'll hit either 800 or 1300 going through Red Creek. Does the right side run have enough water for a 16' loaded raft at either 800 or 1300, or is the start left side, work to the middle run the way to go? Thanks in advance for any info.

RivRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #2
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I'd be surprised if the right side has enough water ...easy pull out river left to scout. Did the Green from Litle Hole to Split Mountain in mid-June this year and only our duckies ran Red Creek on the right.

F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #3
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Stay left and rock dodge. Piece of cake.
jsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #4
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I ran it last week with a fully loaded 14 and my buddy in a 16', we both ran right with no issues.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #5
steamboat springs, Colorado
Red Creek shouldn't be a worry. Getting to your "reserved" campsite and finding, oh, 16 drunken 21 year-olds in 4 rented paddle rafts should be. The enforcement of reserved camps below Little Hole is a farce. I spend 3-5 weekends on that section a year, and have never seen a BLM or State DFG ranger below Little Hole. What I have found, and often, is somebody poaching my camp.
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #6
You can run either side at 800, but the left is getting boney. The left however does not have the consequences of the right side. If you comfortable on 3-4, the right should not be problematic. More water just makes the left line easier [Class 2], and the right line bigger. On the right, make sure you get right of the center of the chute at the bottom. You will however hit the wall if you get too far right too early. There are also a couple of high center rocks to avoid after you exit the rapid. The right side of Red Creek is about the only place on the river you will get your passengers wet.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks for the feedback. We have a reserved site, hopefully it will be open. I remember when we used to camp along the B section 20-25 years ago, Little Hole was a dirt parking lot, basically the same campsites, no fees for parking or camping, most of the sites were very lightly used, and rarely saw anybody floating the B section other than a few fisherman in drift boats. Things are certainly busier.

RivRunner is offline   Reply With Quote