Old 11-18-2007   #1
Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
Greek WW?

I'm trying to put together a trip to Greece this spring paddling a bunch of whitewater, but having never been there before I'm trying to find information about it. Anybody got any?

"Where There's Water."

DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #2
I was there paddling this spring. Its a short season, pretty much every thing is natural snow melt runoff, common wisdom is all of April and first half of May is your best chance. There is a reasonable website you should be able to google with a few guesses set up by some of the small number of Greek paddlers. The main guide book is now a little dated and written by a German. I've only seen the German language version but the book said there was an English version. I copied the following info from inside the cover:
martin_bettinger AT (email address obfuscated)
Franz Bettinger/Ulla Eich,
66386 St Ingbert, Obere Kaiserstrasse 127
ISBN 3-00-004944-4

My advice, these rivers are mostly in the North of the country, its very quiet and rural and utterly beautiful. Shuttle roads are tiny and obscure and you should buy good topo's. Two vehicles would be very helpful as few shuttles we did had any traffic nor were they river level but climbed high up. There is some hard paddling there but the group I was with was not upto that so I never got to see it, but I paddled some of the most spectacular class III and IV I have ever seen. Much of the rock was limestone and gorges are incredibly deep and cliffed out. Water quality in general was very high, though small villages surround and I suspect sewage systems are primitive. I was traveling there with a Czech group but most paddlers we saw were Austrian and quite friendly and helpful.

There are hydro scheme's going in every year so like so many places...get it whilst you can.

ion_berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #3
The greek paddling website
ion_berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Greek WW

I've a got a copy of the Bettinger book in English(not for sale).
Bettinger contact info is:

Franz Bettinger

D-66386 St.Ingbert, Obere Kaiserstr. 127

Tel. (06894) -5037 oder -51526, Fax. -51526 oder -53635 or

athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote