Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-18-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Great tag along trip on Brown's with Independant Whitewater

Had a group of 8 folks camping at the Ark that wanted to raft Browns this weekend. I wanted to R2 my Mini Max. I called a few places and settled on Independant Whitewater (had used their put in and shuttle service before). Super cool, small shop that took great care of the whole group, and since we brought 8 paying custies, they let us tag along (paid our own parks fees and tipped the guides). They let us put the Mini on their trailer, let us ride in the van and provided safety all the way. They have a great private takeout that lets you run Twin Falls and Seidel's on a half day trip. The Mini ran the gut of Twin Falls and Seidel's with no problem!

The prices were very reasonable (cheaper than most) and you get to run the two biggest rapids in Browns that no one else runs on 1/2 days. plus they saved us the hassle of shuttles etc. we tipped out the lead guide Gringo, and saw him later at the liquor store sharing the wealth via PBR's with the other guides. Only down side was waiting 15 mins for the lady in our other boat to grow a pair and jump off of jump rock. probably 50 people cheering her on, while waiting to jump off behind her. she finally went in and then climbed up and jumped off again.

Great trip, and a great way for a private boater who would normally have to babysit 8 jackasses down the river to go out an have a blast too!

Highly recommended. To me, it's preferable to be with a small, long standing raft company with private put ins and take outs than being herded around like cattle by one of the larger companies (been there done that). I know there are a lot of other great guides and companies on the Ark, but I wanted to share my great experience with Independant.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote