Old 10-16-2011   #1
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Great playspot near home

Nice rapid with bunch of holes near home. Only 20 minutes away. I need kayakers in Chiapas Mexico!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4143925497.png
Views:	116
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	4090  

gabrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

You probably already know about it,but in case not,check out mayanwhitewater .com,Greg has explored many rivers in Chiapas .The Chiapas part of his site is the most complete.He goes up there periodically to explore and would probably like to boat with you .He can possibly help you with contacts to other Chiapaneco boaters or groups passing through.

I love Chiapas,very special place!.Was in Tuxtla a couple times but have only run some 2-3 stuff apx. 1/2 hr./1 hr. above Chiapa de Corzo on the Grijalva?[ Sto. Domingo on some maps ] and canoe and power boats in Sumidero.Would really like to go back someday.Which river is that in the photo,Sabinal ? Ever boat over by Tapachula? I scouted some creeks over there 15 years ago that have not been run yet, but a lot of runs have been done since then, seems like a class IV - V- PARADISE [ see mayanwhitewater],and certainly hike in hair above.There are many runs that have only been done a few times all around TG tambien,claro.And classics like Agua Azul ,Jatate,and Sto. Domingo gnar.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #3
What other whitewater do you have in Chiapas? I was in Comitan many years and would return someday.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #4
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Kayaking in Chiapas

Hi cayo 2 & treewell, hope you're ok.

About Greg I've been in contact with him trough email many times. The info he has at his website is awesome. About the river of the photo, this is the Lower Suchiapa. The rapid is below a bridge heading to Tuxtla Airport and is the only rapid on the place, perfect as a playspot. Im a rookie playboater and since there's no kayakers here it's been kinda difficult to dare to paddle the rapid by my own (specially the center part where the biggest hole is located). About Tapachula I've paddle twice the Coatan and I'm waiting for a chance to go to Cuilco, Cahoacan ando Novillero (these are mentioned on Greg's site) with a rafter friend from the south.
A nice creeking river is the Santo Domingo but this is really too extreme for me (look for some info at youtube searching a video called POV waterfall). I met a group who made it on april this year. About the other rivers you mentioned, I would like to go but don't have a support team to go with me and don't want to kayak alone so if you ever come back to Chiapas send me an email ( and we'll see which places we can visit.
gabrek is offline   Reply With Quote