Mountain Buzz banner

Great article on the Grand Canyon...

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  DanRauer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
two good friends of mine went on separate GC trips this year. one launched in early may and one in early june. they both said it was a trip neither of them would ever forget. their stories made me put the canyon on my list also.

#7 ·
Nice write up and pics! That place is life changing fer sure. Twenty some of the best days of your life...I just wanna know how could the Grand not be on your list before mang? Did you just write off the chance of ever getting on a permit, logistics, not enough gnar? Just curious

One of those pics kinda looked like upset rapid. Reminded me our trip and the good fortune i had there. 5 or 6 days prior we had a raft flip at Crystal and didn't get it back for a couple days. We lost a little food and beer but the only real damage was to the chic pales. Anyhow, it was pretty late in the day and Upset was going to be the last big rapid that day. The other kayaker and myself made it through upset upright and caught the big swirling eddy below on river right. The rafters finished scouting and ran it.

As I was watching them, bobbing up and down in the eddy a shimmery shiny object basically landed in my hand as I was taking a paddle stroke. The river gods practically handed me one of our Rainier beers that had been lost in the Crystal flip 6 days before. It was the perfect river temperature and hell of a way to paddle into camp.

We said it had been Crystallized

Now I cant wait to go back next March and do it all over again. I'm looking forward to seeing how the 11 new people will feel about the experience.

#9 ·
Twenty some of the best days of your life...I just wanna know how could the Grand not be on your list before mang?
Yeah, what's the deal Marty? Didn't believe it 'til you heard it from a Jackson paddler? :)

#12 ·
Exactly what Flow mentions... Although I get to paddle a ton, especially for my "business trips" it has always appeared to be a very big "DEAL" to pull together. (Financially, time away, wife getting that time off, and huge logistics). For those reasons only, I have shelved it for when I have a bit less hair (not much left now I guess) and more time on mine and my wife's hands.
The other side to it (as mentioned) is that I honestly have never read much on it. Just heard the stories over campfires from those that had done it. After seeing these photos (and many others that aren't on the JK site), I am super stoked to pull it together. Might be a bit still (09, 10), but it's now on my radar as a must do.

See you later today Count... Wana pick me up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.