Old 03-31-2010   #1
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Grape Creek

If any one wants to go experience the mank, the gauge syas its running 315 cfs. It Might go for the next couple of days if it stays warm, Go early because it usually peaks at midnight.

ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
What is grape creek like at the steep section? Mainly focused on safety and avoiding blind unscoutable corners and the like.

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #3
Gunbarrel, Colorado
There are some still photos @ Alex Henes - Merely A Flesh Wound. Looks like things can be scouted and portaged if needed.
Thumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #4
Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
grape creek

When I ran it a few years back, with about 200 cfs, lots of boat scraping at the beginning, then you can see the granite canyon coming and you are stoked to get out of the boat and give your ass and boat a break. Drops are easy to scout and portage if need be. Fun stretch all in all, cool area, not often run stretch, some fun fast water, but nothing that creeps up out of nowhere.

Good luck if you go. I remember saying to myself that I would never go in there again with less then 250. I think that is what I said. 300 could be good.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #5
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
how long's the run take to do? was thinking of heading to taos for the weekend, any chance of getting in a lap on friday afternoon on the way south? might also be down for a run on saturday if the water holds/there's a crew around to paddle with.

also, anyone have an opinion on upper taos box vs. grape creek? maybe just bag the drive to taos altogether
xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
I think the warm weather brought it up for a day. Cool weather thur/fri will shut it down. Also, the res needs to be spilling from what I recall reading, and I think the gauge is upstream of the res.

That area got a good dumping of snow, and grape may actually get some flow this year.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can anyone confirm if Grape is actually running? Or are we just seeing what is flowing into the reservoir.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ah the much maligned Grape Crk.,i'd still like to do it despite the advice of wiser boaters.Anything else in the Colo. Sangres? For a range with so many 14's and 13er's to have so few runs just seems wrong.St. Charles run once?Old AW Inventory had this outstanding beta: Purgatoire I -V ,something like 120 or 150 miles.Gotta be something in a big snow year.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Grape is (or was) running... It looked like a lot of water coming out of there when we floated out of the Gorge this afternoon. There was definitely a heck of a lot more water in Canon City than there was in the Gorge.
The top hole in the new Canon park was pretty good... and really dynamic, since the bulldozer was still moving things around above it and it kept changing from minute to minute.

Xavier - Upper T-Box has an awful lot of good rapids. I've never done Grape, but did UTB last weekend and it was very good - though it scared the hell out of me since there were sieves EVERYWHERE!
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #10
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Ian has this right, but it's on it's way down in a hurry. And yes, it was/is still running. The Canon City gauge was up to 1000 or so earlier today, but is only 845 now, meaning Grape has already dropped about 150 cfs since this afternoon. There definitely isn't that much water coming down the Ark into the Royal Gorge right now either.

CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote