Mountain Buzz banner

Grape Creek

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  erdvm1 
#1 ·
The bible talks about a couple portages in the mile plus long stretch in the middle of this run. Are these obvious and mandantory portages? Or, are they runnable???
Thanks,
D3

#2 ·
D3

Durango was beautiful...

FYI, Matt is doing Grape as I type this to you. He should have solid beta tonight. Catch him on his cell. He will be out of town for a few days on a nice little kayak trip with some folks from GA.

Dominate

#3 ·
The meat of Grape is pretty obvious. It starts out with a rapid called tights, that tends to collect wood. If someeone has cleared it out it is pretty straight forward. If they haven't, feel free to earn some karma oints. Shortly below that, the river drops over one horizon after another. All are runnable, but there are one or two that I have always walked. If you don't blindly go over horizon lines you'll be fine. The eddies are pretty big, even at high water. In '98 there was one barbed wire portage near the top and one more below temple canyon, where you should just take out anyway, unless you are mooching shuttle from someone running the gorge.

#4 ·
It seems to be too low to run right now, so I'm planning to hike from the put-in to Temple Canyon road tomorrow. Digital camera in hand.

Did that guy run it today? If so how was it?

#5 ·
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I dig the photo-beta that people post on the Buzz. I often look at some of my downloaded Bailey shots in the dead of winter, esp. the next-to-no-water shots of Supermax that show the undercut is really more scary-looking than dangerous. Grape will be esp. cool to have shots of, given that is seems to run so seldom. I'm taking a friend who's moving back east down to the Grand Canyon this weekend - sure hope there's still water in Grape when I get back.

#7 ·
They were at something like 7 or 17 cfs, and someone here on the Buzz took them in the winter of 2002-03 and posted them on Webshots.com. I don't remember who, but I remember that they were a regular here. Try running a search on that site for Bailey Canyon or Supermax. If you don't find them (and maybe they are no longer there), shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail them to you.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.