Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-28-2010   #11
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The second WW park is being planned for the town of Hot Sulfur Springs. Not the warm springs below eye of the needle. That area by the warm springs is super deep, think about the cliff jumping area.

Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #12
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ah, that makes a hell of a lot more sense! I was wondering where and how they'd make any kind of feature down there.... LOL

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #13
BZN, Montana
Looks like they will have to expand parking, ramps, roads and walkways to accommodate the new play park. So I would think the congestion issue will at least be partially solved by the in river improvements.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #14
Kremmling, Colorado
Definitely will need to include parking improvements!

There is already a plan to improve the parking area near Launch 1 next spring; however, it is not so much an expansion as it is an improved "driveway" that has a circle at the end so one can turn around (like the new lower campground) and slanted pull in trailer parking. In other words, organized parking (what a concept!). The latest idea is to make it so you can pull through the parking spot right out onto the road when you leave (i.e. no backing!). Hopefully that can work, but we need to evaluate the resource disturbance.

Our initial discussions of the playpark has talked about getting the county to improve the Inspiration Flats road or (probably more likely) making a new road that goes upriver from the access road to Launch 1.

Don't worry... we are well aware of the Pumphouse congestion and it was my personal reason for advising against this area... but now I see that it might actually help get even more parking improvements to Pumphouse. I would hope that we won't approve this park unless we get congestion relief along with it.

Hannah is the contact for this, but she is out this week and I couldn't keep quiet any longer. Teri
Teri Parvin
Rec Asst, BLM Kremmling
tparvin at blm.gov
Teri_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #15
Thronton, Colorado
The parking improvement alone will be greatly appreciated! Expansion and new water features would be icing on the cake...

Thanks for the insight, glad to hear from somebody in the know.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yes pumphouse can get congested and a bit crazy, but its the perfect place for a playwave. Pumphouse is prime... it services the IV/V crowd for gore, and the II/III crowd for downstream, so its got broad appeal. Its got one of the longest most consistent seasons in colorado due to dam release. Pumphouse is centrally located and accessible from steamboat, glenwood, vail/summit, or the front range. From a bang for you buck standpoint, I think pumphouse is one of the best locations in the state of colorado to put a wave.

I'd love to have a takeout surf session after a good day on gore.

My suggestion... Keep the main raft launch downstream of the play feature. Having rafts and fishing dories coming through while people are trying to surf would be suboptimal.

Does anyone have a link or any more details about the plan?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #17
Kremmling, Colorado
The idea is to put it upriver from Launch 1 ... the designers understand the complexities of other river users floating through. No real designs (yet) that I know of ... seems pretty preliminary and the year I remember hearing is 2015. I'm sure the proposed site(s) will have to go through our environmental assessments before we can say "yes, this place will work". Thank you for your comments and I'm sure that Hannah, the new Outdoor Rec Planner that filled Andy's position, will keep communicating with you as things move along.
Teri Parvin
Rec Asst, BLM Kremmling
tparvin at blm.gov
Teri_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #18
d-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I am all for this new colorado play park.It just makes sense,with great fall flows and ideal location for class five run surf combo.It could bring worldclass competition with race and freestyle events in the late summer when all the other parks are to low.There are no other spots in colorado where you can camp, surf and paddle class five in the same location. Could be a huge asset to the state,cheers Aaron Lombardo.
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #19
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Full Support from TMCK......

I was a long time local in Grand County, now in Summit and think this is a great opportunity to make already a gem of Colorado even better. As this process goes forward in looking to a builder. RiverRestoration.org has the most experience with the Colorado River. I highly recommend Jason Carey and his team after working for them in Frisco and Vail's Kayak Parks.

Please keep us all posted on the project. Also if there is anything that Ten Mile Creek Kayaks can do to help, would be stoked giving back to an area that has given some much...

Keep the Hairy Side Up,

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #20
steamboat, Colorado
parking problems at Pumphouse? maybe if you are trying to park a jumbo jet.

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote