Old 04-12-2012   #31
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
thats what went awry with food pack my pack last trip... I forgot the cats! I prefur them crock potted actually.

sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #32
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
My cat can eat a whole watermelon!
Sweet....someone else who enjoys fine cinema. The scene where they were lost in the desert and drank the cat melt water out of the cooler is etched in my brain forever.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #33
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Maybe the Dingo ate your baybay....
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #34
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post

That IS awesome! Watch it!! you'll like it!! Meow!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #35
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I just can't express my relief to find some like-minded catboaters and to know that folks are finally starting to talk about this issue.

For years I've been really embarrassed about the fact I bring my cats along on the river. I felt really slighted that dogs seem to be OK everywhere but so many people laugh and point when they see a rafter with his cats on the river. Finally I can come right out and tell people.

The whole reason I got into rafting years ago was so I wouldn't have to leave Mrs. Nibbles and Skookums at home while I went off on my weekend adventures. There's just no way they'd get to have as much fun catching wild mice and they enjoy camping so much it'd be an injustice to leave them at home. Not only that but its so easy to get them on trips where dogs are banned because it never occurred to the rangers anyone would bring their feline friends along. I say "show me in the regulations where it says I can't bring cats on the river" and they just look at me open mouthed and have to let me bring Mrs. Nibbles and Skookums! You shoudl've seen Ranger Dave at Lee's Ferry when Mrs. Nibbles was rubbing up against his legs while he gave us the check out talk - I was worried he was finally going to use that big gun he always carries!

As for keeping them from clawing the tubes, I've solved that problem and made it possible for them to ride where the action is by mounting a piece of thick carpet to the bow. They just dig in when we go into the big hits and ride through the waves like a couple of little champs. I learned this trick from a kayaker who had carpet mounted on his front and his cat would just hang on like velcro when he rolled or boofed. After I saw that I knew I'd found a way to get my kitties into the wild.

I'm so glad I've finally found some other catboaters and can't wait to get our kitties all together! I've got a June 5 permit for the Selway and just decided its going to be a catboating only trip! Shoot me a PM if you'd like to bring your frisky little fellas on some rocking whitewater.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #36
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Imported cats

What really pisses me off are you people with your cheap cats imported from siam or persia or some other non-american country (except England cuz we used to part of them.) There are plenty of american cats looking for space on noncommercial trips, or jobs as camp mousers or stew. And don't come crying to me when you are stranded in some canyon after your foreign cat has its ear fall off and your glue dried up in the can because you were too cheap to check it. Me and my Maine Coon cat won't even stop to help you.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #37
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I wouldn't make fun of you if you had your cats on the river.

I'd make fun of you if you had your cats on a leash.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #38
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
You are killing me Andy! Ranger Dave does love the puppies however! He has always let us have our dogs off leash if "they are chasing a ball". Careful of the new ranger dan the pop u with a dui man, fyi!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #39
East freedom, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2008
If I would ever take my cat anywhere I am pretty sure I would never see it agan, the only time I see it now is when it storms or when he brings me dead rabbits and such. I found him as a stray so he is all kinds of wild.
WWnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #40
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think the 20 hour drive each way would probably get them accustomed to a short ride in a car

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote