Old 04-10-2012   #21
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
First descent.... lets start a youngest descent! Yes

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #22
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Why? So you can say you did it?

The kid isn't going to remember the trip. Why bother?

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #23
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'd call the permit office or the ranger station. I'm sure they will make you feel real stupid.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #24
I am not quite sure that you are serious, but...

This is grossly negligent. Sure, if you make it through ok, no big deal, right? Hell, I think you might as well skip the car seat, too. Kind of a pain in the ass, and everything typically goes ok when you are driving... I mean something bad could happen maybe, but it is pretty unlikely, so go for it.

Highly unlikely that the baby would enjoy those conditions in the canyon or any aspect of the event itself, for that matter. It is incredibly selfish to force an infant along on the trip and hope it pans out so you can have some fun. I am widely considered a fairly reckless person and this is unbelieveable to me. Putting your own vacationing/leisure interests in front of your infants safety and well-being is just plain wrong. You would never be able to enjoy a river trip again (or most of your life) if this didn't work out for you. Try weighing that vs. the years of great times you will have outdoors with your son or daughter if you exercize restraint, patience and good judgement.
For your childs sake, I hope this is a f***ed up joke or troll. If not, call up Child Protective Services and the rangers and let them weigh in on your plans. Don't call from a traceable line if you don't want trouble... That alone should tell you everything you need to know about your plan.
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #25
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't see what the problem would be. Don't listen to the naysayers here - if you take the kid with you rock climbing, sky diving, or extreme skiing with you, the Grand should be a snap. If the others on the trip are like minded new parents, just remember to bring some issues of Negligent Mother Magazine to put over by the groover. They'll be grateful to you for years for all the tips and tricks!

And to give yourself a little more time for hiking or just kicking back with those ice-cold PBRs and shots o' Jim Beam in camp, make sure to bring some Sparties - you'll only need 3 or 4 for the trip. Why fill a big drybag with disposable diapers when you can just tuck a few of these in and be set for the trip? Don't worry about the 5-day limit thing on the package - you can always get a few extra days out of them!

Have a great trip and tell us how it goes. Its so heartwarming to see you want to give your kid the experience of a lifetime before you send her off to work in the textile mill.

And remember - the family that floats together boats together! Or something like that....
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #26
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I would NEVER take a child of less than 8 yrs old on a GC trip. I have seen what happens to privates that bring 5 and 6 yr olds and "walk them around" rapids. You must be masochistic and sadistic, this is NOT Disneyland!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #27
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Nice Andy!!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #28
dropzone, Colorado
Is this what we have to look forward to on the Buzz for the no water year of 2012? Good try, but next time try to make your post a little more believable for better trolling effect.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #29
I don't see what the big deal is. Babies instinctively hold their breath under water......I think. As long as someone holds them out of the water during a swim, what can happen?

And if anything happens, making another baby isn't the worst thing in the world.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #30
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010

Put the baby in one of these things to send it down the rapids. The air inside will cushion it and it should float right on top and bounce off any rocks. But also use a PFD just in case.

snakester is offline   Reply With Quote