Old 10-13-2009   #11
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I have been thinking about it too. Does anyone know if it is possible to make arrangements to resupply yourself via a US mail package (or someother arrangement) at Phantom and Havasupai. I am pretty sure I could mail a package to phantom...not so sure about havasupai in the off season. Considering all the other gear you have to bring, it sure would be nice to carry an 8 or 9 days supply of bacon (carvedog) rather than enough for the whole 21-28 day trip.
Long walk to Havasupai for a restock. No problem for US mail to Phantom. But limited to size and temperature. Might also talk to the mule companies about delivery. I was thinking of paying a commercial motor rig to restock (assuming summer trip). On my Sept trip we had a motor and two coolers brought into Diamond for the last 3 days. Fresh fruit, veggies and fish sure go go with ICE cold beer!!!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Just think everything that you pick up in Phantom has to go down via mule, those poor buggers. I've heard of people getting fair sized boxes, but nothing huge.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #13
Flagstaff, Arizona
Yes, it was wonderful

Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
A Grand Canyon winter solo raft trip. Anybody been there done that?
My sweetie and i did a one boat two person trip last winter. 30 days Lee's to South Cove. Lava NEVER looked bigger. We had our 16 foot Achillies bucket boat loaded to the gills. Early in the trip we ran across a very nice guy on a solo sea kayak trip who had hurt his shoulder in 24 mile. We loaded him and his boat on ours as well, and dropped him off in the sun at South Canyon. He was very happy to be in the sun with wood. He got a science trip to take out his boat, and another self guided trip took him most of the way to Phantom, till the slower science trip caught up, collected him, and took him on in to Phantom.

We holled up three nights at tanner in a large storm. Snow on Comanche Point was wonderful.

We ran into some great folks from Colorado, and leapfrogged with them a little, but for the most part, we were on our own.

We both did some wonderful hiking, me going long while my sweetie did shorter hikes.

In the end, it was hard work, we are so glad we did it, but we are not sure we would do it again, as we never had any down time except at layover days. All work made Hazel and Tom tired puppies...we are both early 50's.

There was some discussion of this at the Rafting Grand Canyon list some weeks back

Rafting_Grand_Canyon : Rafting Grand Canyon

and the GC River WIKI has some info too

Main Page - Rafting Grand Canyon

You have a fantastic journey! Yours, Tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #14
Flagstaff, Arizona
Oh more was friggin cold

We friggin froze in the Muave Gorge, from below Deer Creek until the river turns south at Whitmore. There was no sun, and though the sky was clear, it was bitter cold as only late Jan early feb can be. That was brutal cold. We used a four season tent (worth the $$$), had three sleeping bags and two woolen blankets for the two of us, lots of fleece and wooly gear. The nightly fires and lots of cups of hot drinks were real helpful.

Hope this helps, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote