GC Waiting List
Get ready for a long ride through a bureaucratic-sounding explanation.
First the technical background. The Park Service is working on issuing the Record of Decision (ROD), which will finalize the Final Environmenal Impact Statement (FEIS) for the Colorado River Management Plan (CRMP). No guarantees, but the ROD should be issued this month, and then the work on the CRMP will be finalized. The CRMP should contain the provisions of the FEIS, with additional explanatory action.
Now on the three step transition plan. The Park included that in the FEIS, and it will almost certainly be included in the CRMP. There is no reason to think it won't be the method they use to eliminate the current huge waiting list.
As to timing, the Park has said that it wants to start the transition in February. From that I conclude that sometime in the next 6-7 weeks the Park will be sending people on the list a formal explanation of what their options are.
If you want to track this issue, you may want to periodically check on the Grand Canyon Private Boaters site -- gcpba.org. They are following this pretty closely, and have several forms for letting people plan trips, including one specicially for helping people on the list who want to combine list numbers with others on the list.
Hope this helps.