Old 07-20-2012   #1
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Grand Canyon tram

I just found out about a proposed tram from the rim to the confluence of the little colorado in grand canyon national park. I can't fit all of the text here. If you are interested in voicing your opinion please send an email to me at I will forward details and contact info

boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #2
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008

Here is the url for the company purposing to build the tram and tourist trap

boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This needs to be stopped!
Noah W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Here is what I got from Grand Canyon River Guides:

Hi canyon advocates,

After our initial meeting with Lamar Whitmer from Confluence Partners, it seemed likely that they might use the "swimming at the Confluence" issue as a wedge in their campaign to promote the proposed Grand Canyon Escalade development.

And low and behold, check out the full page ad on the back page of yesterday's Navajo Hopi Observer. Our thanks go out to the GCRG member who alerted us about this advertisement. I scanned it as best I could and it is attached here in two sections. Some of the text is a bit cut off but the top portion reads:

The Confluence and Navajo sacred sites are currently unprotected
and overrun every year by National Park visitors.
Building Escalade will provide access for
on-the-ground monitoring and law enforcement to protect sacred sites.

(followed by photos of park visitors at the Confluence).

The bottom portion says:

Grand Canyon Escalade
IT'S TIME the Navajo People enjoy a fair share of Grand Canyon Tourism!

You can pick up copies at Bookmans on Milton in Flagstaff (the newspapers are located right where you walk in).

Rather audacious, wouldn't you say! This is similar to their reference in the the Grand Canyon Escalade promotional booklet to the "NPS.....does allow their 30,000+/- river runners to land and hike on the Navajo side, and then to swim in the river" while making an even clearer point that they would use law enforcement to prevent it from happening.

I have provided this information to Superintendent Uberuaga and other key NPS personnel to give them the heads up on this PR direction Confluence Partners is taking.

The irony here is that they're appealing to the Navajo people to protect one of their most sacred sites by building a 450 acre development on it....

Lynn Hamilton
Grand Canyon River Guides

This is a serious matter, that IS on the table for development. Action is needed.
GC Guide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
This is a big deal. The white guys out of Phoenix who want to do this development need the buy in from the Navajo Nation. Starting with the members of the Bodaway/Gap Chapter. The chapter has members who are very opposed to this project. They have started this web page:
Save the Confluence | Preserving the East Rim of the Grand Canyon

So what can you do? Write your Congressional representatives. Urge them to encourage Grand Canyon National Park to work with the Navajo Nation to adequately manage the eastern half of Marble Canyon for the treasure it is, not the mechanized motorized mess our technology could make of it. Such joint cooperation between GCNP and TNN was proposed in the 1975 Grand Canyon Enlargement Act, but never acted upon.

All the best, Tom Martin
River Runners For Wilderness
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I think it looks cool. Stop at the grand, take a dip and pull a 40oz. Might open up some cool poaching opportunities. Park and play on the grand!
Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #7
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Look on the bright side, it will be way easier to swap people on your trip at the Little Co than it is as Phantom Ranch. It may even give opportunity to swap twice...
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #8
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
LCR is an awesome stop on the Grand. It was crowded when I was there with two sets of motor rigs, but we still had a great time. I can't imagine even more people there at one time. You know the people on the "tram" wouldn't respect the river and there will end up being cigarette butts and other tourist trash all over. Yeah I think everyone should be able to see this special place but we don't need to see some ugly ass tram in such a great place.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #9
alta, Utah
heyduke lives

barry is offline   Reply With Quote