Old 10-18-2012   #1
Telluride, Colorado
Grand Canyon Shuttle

Has anyone ran their own shuttle from Lees Ferry to Diamond Creek? How long did it take? What were the road conditions? Is it worth it? Can you leave your car safely at Diamond Creek for 18 days? How do the Hualapai Indians deal with it? Thanks for any feedback.

hutch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #2

No parking of shuttle vehicles at Diamond. None.

River Runners Shuttle highly recommended. About $250 or so plus Hualapai fees, IIRC.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #3
Highly recommend River Runners.
But NOT to Diamond Creek, go down to Pearce Ferry.
Get 10-15 more miles of FUN rapid, another two nights on the river,
and save the HUGE fees to use Diamond Creek road, plus save the wear and tear on your vehicle. River Runners has storage near Pearce Ferry.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #4
Parachute, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I Have had good results from Canyon REO in Flagstaff.

-You drive your vehicles to Flagstaff, they have a secure lot, REO brings you back in a van to Lee's
-They pick you and all your gear up at Diamond in a van and F550 with large trailer and transport you back to Flagstaff and your vehicles.

Plus side
-You do not beat up your vehicle on the Diamond road.
-The vehicles are stored in a secure area

-There are fees for the shuttles (obviously)
-Per day per car parking fee at the lot, ($2, if I recall)

They had great service for our two trips. Doing a different shuttle down to Pearce may still be the cheaper considering all of the Hualapai fees. REO may be able to pick you up at Pearce.

Let the buzz know what you did and how it worked out.

Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #5
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
riverrunnersshuttle service good!

my 2 cents: have had good luck with RRSS in the past. Canyon REO on the other hand beat the crap out of my truck, lost my gas cap, and nearly lost the tail gate out of my trailer (was dragging behind when they showed up, which has never happened when i drive). they of course denied everything.

I agree it's much cheaper to take out at Pearce but not everybody can spare the extra time and even though it's cool to do that run, the tourist helicopters are like gnats down there and the camping is very limited after separation canyon. and the last few miles are totally out of the canyon, in some ways a downer way to end the trip.

current RRSS cost for diamond package is $325 plus you have to pay $65 to the hualapi for each passenger, including the shuttle driver, and another $64 for the vehicle. Ripoff but unaviodable for DC takeout.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #6
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
no storage fees with River Runners Shuttle Service

i should have mentioned that RRSS does not charge any vehicle storage fees, unlike Canyon REO and the vehicles are stored in a secured lot in Meadview.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #7
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
We had a great experience with Ceiba last year. You could shuttle your vehicles to Flag yourself and then they would bring them from there to DC or PF. The road in to Diamond sucks so if you want to give the Wallyeyes your $ so that your vehicles can get all that extra wear and tear.....
We had some folks doing an exchange at Phantom so they were the ones that took our vehicles to Ceiba in Flag.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #8
mogul, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2000
We just used River Runners shuttle service and took out at Diamond creek on sunday. $450 for shuttle company, $ 60 pp + $60 for driver & $60 for vehicle for take out fees. Narley drive out. They do beat up your vehicles. We lost a spare tire 3 years ago and lost the tail gate to the trailer this year. (park Ranger found it and brought it to us! Narley drive out..plan about 1 -2 hours to go 20 miles. Wish they would put a dumpster and scat machine at the top of their road. Have a great trip! Flows expected to be running 40,000 in november! We had flows of 8000.
sdaehling19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #9

The other Rich is right -- the pricing I was thinking about was to Pearce, not Diamond. It's $265 for one vehicle, and $250 for two or more.

River Runner's Shuttle Service - Shuttle pricing

I've had good experiences using them five times, including several where I asked them for help with adjustments in schedule and other issues. Never an indication my vehicle and trailer were abused, always left me correct receipts for the fuel they bought with the money I left, etc. The web site doesn't list it, but the times I went to South Cove it was the same price as for Pearce.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote