Old 02-07-2009   #11
I did a late fall trip several years ago and we didn't see another group on the river until below Lava.

The Park has increased the number of private launches, but I think the number of cancellations has gone up, too. You won't see any commercial trips.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #12
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Passenger limits?

Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
Only problem.... I'm only allowed 2 passengers on my 15 footer per the NPS.
The NPS is now putting limits on the number of passengers on your boat? I've never heard of that. We had a 13' on one of my trips (a long time ago) and nothing was said about passengers. Of course there weren't that many folks that wanted to ride in it either

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I definitely second the idea to rent/upgrade to a bigger boat. An 18 footer will flip a LOT less easy and will hold the passengers, and more importantly, the gear.

My only other recommendation is to make sure these gals knows how to self rescue, both themselves, and the boat. Some practice at the beginning of the trip would probably suffice. And wearing proper gear during big rapids, will be important too for self rescue. Splash gear, wetsuits, drysuits, whatever, self rescue is kind of a joke in that water if you aren't geared up properly.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #14
Here's the section from the Park regs:

Type of Watercraft
Carrying Capacity
Dories: 16 18 feet:
Inflatable rafts and pontoons:
less than 12 feet in length
up to 14 feet in length
up to 16 feet in length
up to 17 feet in length
up to 18 feet in length

Seem's like you'd have problems hauling enough gear for a standard length trip before these limits are an issue. You do have to list all your boats on the permit app so the Park might be looking at the total number of boats, too.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #15
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I definitely second the idea to rent/upgrade to a bigger boat.
I disagree. If he already has a 15 or 16 ft boat why waste all that money to bring an 18. I took a 14 with no probs at all.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #16
Flagstaff, Arizona
Do it, with caution

Yes, go! But go with caution...

My sweetie and I took our 16ft achillies last Jan-Feb for 30 days Lee's to the Lake. We brought along two paddle boat paddles and lashed them to the outside of the boat, and borrowed a friends "Masdan Rope Puller" in a large PVC tube with threaded end, and lashed that on the outside of the boat as well. We were lucky though, as all that flip planning was not needed. In places like Granite and Lava, the first few waves filled the bucket boat up, and we hit some big stuff but the boat was just too heavy to flip. We had folks a few days in front and behind us, and know the river well, so if was an absolute dream trip, the best thing Hazel and I have ever done as a couple.

That said, space will be at a premium, so plan with care. Don't let the littel rapids get you, like the right side of Indian Dick, or the hole at 209.
Scout often. There will be other trips on the water then, so you can run the big stuff with some backup.

Empower your passengers! Get those gals rowing and reading water if they don't already. If you get winged out of the boat, they should know what to do.

Don't forget to scout Pearce Ferry Rapid if you go to the Lake.

And, have fun!

Yours, Tom Martin
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #17
Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks again for all the input! I'm sticking to ol' faithful. She's been down it 2x before and I love the bob and weave that the 15 ft provides. Yes, space is an issue. So, more whiskey less beer... Seriously, I'm already rigging my boat in my garage and playing with ideas. Self-rescue and proper gear is a must and will be key. I figure this trip will either truly be a "trip of a lifetime" or a complete nightmare. I like my odds for a great trip. Both girls are a class 3 boater so if I get bucked.... The 3rd girl that wants to join may brake me as far as space, weight, and regs. I'm hopeful another buddy will step up.

One cool thing is how fast we wil be. Not like a herd of turtles that I've been with before when you have a bunch of boats. I figure at least 3 lay over days!...Maybe 4.

With good communication with the groups around I plan on hitting the biggies with another group.

What is a "Masdan Rope Puller"?
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #18
Flagstaff, Arizona
My bad. It's Maasdan, not Masdan. The rope puller is a come-along that pulls a rope instead of a steel cable. You can pull a longer length without re-setting the haul system. Here's a link:

Maasdam Pow R-Rope Puller

We greatly enjoyed camping at VERY out of the way places, as well as having the flexability to camp at big camps too, or just hunker down when a storm rolled in.

A two boat 4 person trip would be very sweet too.

Have a Fantastic trip! Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I say go, but don't count on having other trips around you for the big drops. During our trip in Oct/Nov last fall we only saw 5 other parties the entire 16 days. One at the put-in who we never saw again, one a few days in at a camp, One near Havasu at a camp, one just ahead of us at Lava, and one the night before the takeout at Diamond Creek - they were taking out the same day. I don't know if that is unusual or normal for the non-commercial season. I think that it would have been tough for us to try to run the big drops with other parties - it would have required a lot of waiting. That or we were spaced out just right between other groups so we didn't know they were there. We really felt like we had the river to ourselves, which was truly amazing - but not good for your goal of having a safety net at big rapids.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #20
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Dont do it Scotty. Chances are one of those two have herpes. Too risky.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote