Old 03-25-2011   #11
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Ceiba Adventures was awesome for me and several other crews on the river this year. They were also the only ones willing to work with our coolers, dryboxes and rocket boxes rather than their own. For my crew, running our own gear, it worked out great. We went to their facility with our boats and transfered the food into our containers in a few hours.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #12
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I've used REO and Pro multiple times Moenkopi once. Moenkopi had them beat hands down. I've never had one get it perfect but Moe had the least issues and they were all minor.
Have fun and good luck. You're cutting kind of close.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Used Moenkopi in '08, they were great overall, and for us they were the least expensive. I would use them again in a heartbeat.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #14
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just finished a 21 day trip with Moenkopi outfitting 6 16 footers, gear, more food than we could eat in 40 days. This is our second time using them and if I should be so lucky to have third time, it will be my third time using them.
maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #15
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Just give Brady a call at MOE. You'll understand why everybody likes him.
Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #16
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by agunnoe View Post
Howdy ya'll,
I just landed a permit for the Grand Canyon launcing May 30th and I wanted to see what ya'll recommendations were for outfitters. The only outfitter I have talked with is Canyon REO and they seem to be pretty reasonable, but I wanted to see what the mtn buzz community had to say about outfitters.

We're basically looking for rafts/rigs, food, and shuttle service...

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Greetings. I have used Canyon REO and they were great. I used to work on the Kern River with the owner, Donnie Dove, and I can attest to his character (and boating skills). Bruce Kime, Glenwood Springs, CO
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #17
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I second PRO. We used them in 2009. They were the ONLY company that would outfit us with less than a week's warning before our launch(short list). Everything was great and everyone was very friendly. Their gear was also top notch along with the meals, even a bunch of drunken idiots could make them taste great. Their wherehouse, vehicles, gear and employees were all very high quality. I was wondering what kind of negative experience anyone has had with them? The only negative I found is that they won't sell any used gear(I was dying to get one of their sweet ass frames)!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #18
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I used REO cause of price. Their shit was old but effective.

I ran into a group that rented from CANON Outfitters, comparable price to REO, guys is out of Page, AZ, and the gear looked as tight as PRO. I was kinda pissed I did not call them (his page did not load just now, hope he is still around).
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #19
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Brady is great and Moenkopi did a good job on our food last month.

That said, they gave me a filthy, leaky boat with a bunch of really bad straps, loose oar locks, etc. It looked like they never checked it in. They also forgot one of my beaver boards, a kickbar, and the type of oars I requested. Several straps broke on me -one making me swim on a cold morning. I had to replace several straps with my own or they never would have held the boxes and cooler if I had flipped. If I hadn't brought a bucket of my own straps I would have been tying trucker's hitches every morning.

The 18' Avon they rented me was sweet, but they hadn't properly patched one of the tubes and I had to pump it every morning.

I asked some people with Canyon REO how their straps were and they told me they had all new straps and really well maintained equipment. For $800-$1000 this should be the industry standard.

Hopefully we never pay for a food pack again (our $8000 paid for a well packed $1000 worth of food.), but they did a good job and the meals were pretty easy to prepare with the included menu.

I might call Brady next time we rent a boat. He is a cool guy and the Avon Superpro is definitely my boat of choice for the Grand. I will ask him for new straps and double-check the equipment before we leave Flagstaff.

Finally, the parking Moenkopi offers is in a muddy field by Brady's house, not the fenced-in, secure lot some of the other outfitters offer.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #20
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
BTW, we had 11 guys, 5 girls and did just fine paying for 15 people - still had leftovers each night. I would suggest paying for 14 if you have an evenly split group of 16 people.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote