Old 07-27-2005   #1
grand canyon info?

I was wondering if anyone has any info here on the grand canyon. Looking at what are the possibilities of getting on a commercial trip and kayaking it with them.

Does any1 know of a good outfitter that provides that option.

panicman000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Otter Bar kayak does this

Otter Bar Kayak does a kayaker trip in September. I talked to them, and the 2006 trip should be on, but they don't have firm info yet. I think that this years trip is full. They basically get all the spots from a G.C. outfitter to run raft support and fill all the spots (25 or so?) on that permit with kayakers, or a few folks who want to ride the rafts. They used to do Oar rig raft support, but now do motorized raft support. The cool thing about this trip is that the trip stops to play at good spots, and they have an experienced Grand kayaker on the trip to help with lines for the more difficult rapids if you want some Beta. Its not an instructional trip though... I think its a great opportunity for the potential Grand Kayakers that can get the time off to do the 21 or 28 day private trips (if you are lucky enough to find someone who has a permit).

I am planning on going next year...

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #3
hey thanks a bunch tha sound like what I might be looking for. Would probably want to take my girlfriend along who would be in a raft.
panicman000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #4
Grand Outfitters

I did a commercial trip with Canyon Explorations/Expiditions 4 years ago.
They run all Oar and Paddle rafts... none of the big J rigs. If you can gather 4 or more kayakers, they will send a kayak guide along. Great food. Good people. Best vacation I ever took. A bit pricey, but no more so than any other commercial outfit running the grand. DO the full river trip.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #5
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Grand Canyon with Commercial outiftter

A lifetime ago I worked there as a guide and ummmm a river ranger (1997-1985). The advice given by the other posters was right on!
Good outfitters, the only other company that I would add is AzRA, though they don't always throw on kayaks.
Best bet is a kayaker's trip with some other folks (like your girlfriend), along on rafts. Both of you will have such a good time!
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote