Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-25-2014   #21
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
I plan on using my suite for a New Years trip in the canyon. I don't think getting in and out is especially hard, it just is what it is and you are greatly rewarded for spending the extra few calories and seconds squirming your way into it. Being cold and wet is no longer a part of the equation (except for head an hands) which lets you focus more on safety and pleasure.
Gmer with socks is what I have and recommend.

Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #22
Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Drysuit for sure

Drysuit, definitely.

Having done a 17-degree-at-launch trip in the ditch, plus a couple winter trips almost as cold, I was grateful for the warm fuzzy layer between me and the river.

Also, it's well worth the $$ to have them add a relief zipper. I wish I had. I find I don't stay hydrated enough when it's super cold out and I have to peel it halfway off just to take a leak. If you're going to invest in the drysuit, you might as well add the finishing details (relief zipper, and maybe gortex bootie socks) that make it just that much better.

wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014   #23
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Definitely a dry suit if you can. But I wouldn't let that stop you necessarily. I did a 28 day November/December kayak trip with a splash top, wool sweater, and farmer john. I was young, dumb, and durable but the only suffering I remember was in rigging the rafts in the AM. Nothing like frozen ropes (no straps back then) to really do a number on your hands. I think it's really attitude and not swimming that counts. My attitude is bad these days though so I'd take my dry suit 😀
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014   #24
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Buy and Drysuit

After 2 winter grand trips one kayak, one raft and a third planed for Jan.

Buy a dry suite! Get the best one you can afford. Make sure it has a piss zipper.

Or create a non dry suit training schedule for the month before the trip:

Wake up take a cold shower, after which put on a cold wet cotton shirt. Then maybe a pre frozen wool sweater pre cooled in the freezer. Repeat this process at to ensure your body is shivering from cold 12-18 hours a day. Do this for 25-35 days.

If your having fun the entire time you will not need a dry suit on the grand in december.

On that note: Do not forget your calories from fat. 1/2 stick of butter a day will give you 500 calories. A tea soon in your tea, breakfast, and lunch will get you there fast and your body will love it.

If you choose the non dry suit rout I would consider 5 sticks of butter a day.

See sec 11/ 2:16 of the film below:

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #25
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1999
Dry suit ordered from IR. Thanks y'all!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

cmixgo is offline   Reply With Quote