Old 03-11-2012   #11
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
GC Goods...

*A bottle of Dickle (George Dickle Whiskey)

*Lots of beef jerkey

*Smoked Almonds

*A broken-in pair of jeans and a flannel shirt

*Techy quick-dry clothes/cold,rainy weather stuff/Lava gear

*A good pillow

*Paco Pad/roll-a-cot combo- best sleep you'll ever get!

*Extra pair of back-up Chacos

*Day pack for all the awesome hikes

*Comfy chair

* A willingness to:be patient(when tying up at Havazoo), leave your ego at the door(if you have one), flexibility, a strong back(for the wind), a good set of ears to listen to the wise, old canyon.

Have a great trip

Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #12
If you haven't thought of it yet, you don't need it. Go and enjoy yourself! Have a ball and share some pics...

eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #13
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Baby wipes, lotion, and tequila.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #14
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
I've been thinking some more. The thing I didn't forget - I got a travel size foam neck pillow like the big ones - now I'm 48 so my neck ain't what it used to be - but that thing was a lifesaver and it punched down real small.

The thing I forgot, which was previously mentioned but one of those empty WIDE mouth coffee containers with a lid. You only need to try to pee in a nalgene once or better yet miss to appreciate a good pee bucket. I tried those little funnel things and apparently I'm not coordinated enough to make that work.
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #15
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
I know - I just go on and on, but as I read some of the other replies - Havasu is definitely a good stop, but what a cluster. Just be prepared with LONG ropes and lots of patience and you will be rewarded.

The other thing I loved was one of those buffs that you can use as a gaiter, head band, hair scrunchy, hat, etc. It was great for windy days - which there are many to keep the sand out of your mouth. I wish I had brought two as I lost mine during a swim.

As long as you are prepared it's OK but know that you will have sand blasted into every crevice of your body and it will be there for months. I used a tent and remember waking up in Grapevine with 3/4 inch of sand inside my tent even though the fly was on!
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #16
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Prusik loop

I think my favorite piece of advice that was given to me before doing the Grand was to use a Prusik loop on your bowline at night. If they are fluctuating the flow it's an easy way to adjust your boat so you don't end up grounded in the morning. Of course, this only works if you're paying attention. It still got me our first night at Hot Na Na but after that I stayed on top if it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	4407
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the prusik loop on the bowline but I used about 8 feet of 4 or 5mm cord and tied it in a loop with a double fisherman's knot. When tying my boat up, I'd put in a sand stake, tie a prusik knot with the loop of cord around the bowline, then attach the prusik loop to the sand stake with a carabiner. The bowline is easily adjustable (as long as you don't let too much tension build on the prusik) and you can adjust it all well away from the water.

As a side note, most nights someone would attach a length of rope to the back side of all the boats (the end of the boat toward the river) for double safety. Probably not necessary but it was only a few extra minutes for some piece of mind that everything would still be there in the morning.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Alphacyber

I think that's all lhowe wears in camp anyway. That or crocs.
Yea, but a foot problem has my pt telling me that i must wear real shoes. The horror!!!! I'll still have my crocs, they are such good camp slippers.

Have my own collapsable bucket for night-pee, yellow glasses as quasi-goggles, i even bought cheapo sunglasses so i wouldn't ruin my regular ones. A tiny whisk broom is packed- i am not fastidious but it sure is nice to be able to clear a spot for sand. I also got a camp end-table, so i have somewhere to set stuff out of the sand, esp useful for inserting contacts.

Am adding the neck gaitor too, they are also great with a baseball hat for added warmth. Fortunately with my little cat beaching is how i park it, but i like the prussik idea and will mention it to the rest of the group.

Thanks so much, keep the ideas coming.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #18
C. Springs, Colorado
On long trips I always take along a medicine box with several types of cold and flu medicine, pain reliever including something strong like Vicodine, itch reliever, and a bottle of Amoxiciline. Mainly things from a drug store that you need for different sicknesses and such.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #19
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I especially like prussic's when non-boaters get assigned to boat floating duty in the middle of the night. I barely trust boaters to untie my boat. This way no one needs to mess with my knot, just slip the prussic. Worst case the boat ends up floating at the end of the bow line somewhere if a layman messes it up somehow or the prussic breaks, no biggie.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #20
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
My last trip I took a small mushroom anchor with a bunji anchor line. My raft never was grounded by the tides. Take extra lip balm,it gets lost, ruined,or shared by someone you don't want it back from! Have a great trip.

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote