Old 11-01-2006   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Grand Canyon Dry Suit?

My husband needs advice for his upcoming Grand trip in April. He will be paddling a sit-on-top and wants to hear all your advice on what he should wear to stay warm and reasonably dry. So is it a full dry suit, separates (top and bottom), wet-suit with paddle jacket and pants or...forget the sit-on-top and row a raft! PS he's not a sarong type of guy.

Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Forget the sit-on-top and row a raft! Wouldn't a sit-on-top in the GC be like taking a mini-bike on a motorcycle tour of Highway 1???

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Go with the sit on top (and drysuit). Sound manly to me. Heck some girls ran it on riverboards
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
launched 4/20 this last spring. The drysuit would be a very good idea for SOT boating if the weather is bad or your running all day whitewater, but otherwise the temps were in the 80s in the day and 50's at night.
Stay Wet
Repa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'd go with a full drysuit. You can have long days on the water, and many sections are in shade. The water is always cold, and if you have separate pants and top, you will get leakage and be soaked by the end of the day. If its hot during the day you can splash off or swim to cool down. I went down the Grand at the end of september, a similar somewhat shoulder season as April, I would think. There were a few times when everone in the water (kayakers) was really cold at the end of a long day in the shade.

If you have a paddle top and pants etc, I'd bring that too. Having a backup set of gear on a long trip is not a bad idea in case gaskets blow, gear gets damaged etc.

Have fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #6
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
First let me say that I have no experience with a SOT, but wouldn't taking one down the GC be the same as saying you are going to be swimming every rapid?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #7
Thanks for the chuckle rwhyman, and I couldn't have said it any better! So, since he will be swimming every rapid, I'd recommend a full drysuit and a high-flotation pfd. Unless he is planning on just paddling the flat sections (which is 95% of the Grand) and hopping in a raft for all the rapids.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #8
bum, Colorado
full dry suit

I've kayaked the GC a couple of times in early March and April, I didn't wear one because I was enclosed, but a full drysuit is a good idea for a sit on top. You'll have a great time, I've seen tandem canoers run the meat and do great.

Have fun, turn and surf everything you can!!
ntibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #9
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If I was going to be in the water that long I would get the Kokatat Gor-tex drysuit. Nothing on the market is finer. And I don't have one atm.

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #10
Nederland, Colorado
Kim, if its Steve on that boat he'll be fine in some farmer jims and I would'nt worry about the rapids I've seen him do cat in that thing at 50,000.

yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote