Old 01-24-2011   #1
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
Grand Canyon drawings/notebook

This notebook was started while on our Grand Canyon trip, but since I caught a wicked chest cold down there, I did most of the work on it immediately after getting out of the canyon. I'm lucky enough to have some good friends in Bayfield, CO who let me hide at the house for a while as I finished this.

ARTandWATER's submission for The Sketchbook Project: 2011 Art House Co-op | We build art projects and communities

The writings are my first reactions, and not as thought out in a P.C. way like they would be if I were to write this well after the fact. But, that's what I wanted, a true journal of first reactions, random thoughts and feelings as they were fresh in my mind.

From a formal perspective, the drawings are really me working to figure out the structure of the canyon and the overall impression that a first person perspective leaves.

This sketchbook is part of a much larger group project that will tour the country starting in March.
It will start in New York, then go to Maine, Texas, Georgia, Washington D.C., Washington State, California, Illinois, Florida.

I have considered publishing copies of it, as a small pamphlet, but I have been encouraged to add more to it since I am still drawing from sketches and photos of the trip. Someone made the excellent suggestion of getting the other members on the trip involved since most of them seemed to be keeping journals of their own. It might create an interesting first person perspective of a winter Grand Canyon trip.

ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #2
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Funny how my mind instantly thought "wonder if he drew Matkat..."
Of course you did. Nice interpretation, too.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #3
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
Originally Posted by BmfnL View Post
Funny how my mind instantly thought "wonder if he drew Matkat..."
Of course you did. Nice interpretation, too.

How could I NOT draw Matkat. That place feels like climbing up the tunnel slide the wrong way on the play ground. Fun stuff.
ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote