Old 01-15-2013   #1
Paddling Since: 1994
grand canyon disappearance

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I didnt see it on the first couple pages.
Sad. My condolences To her family, crew she was in there with and friends.

7NEWS - Mom fears worst in disappearance of Englewood woman Kaitlin Kenney during Grand Canyon river trip - Local Story

I cant imagine waking up, doing breakfast, rigging, .....and realizing someone is just gone. what are you thinking. uh, maybe shes asleep? uh maybe shes doing yoga? maybe she went hiking? ya, hiking. we didnt talk about hiking today? uh, lets just wait. I'll scramble up there and have a look......... When do you get out the sat phone?

I assume her crew is still in there.

pee buckets are your friend

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
horrible! i fear that i have a friend on the trip currently dealing with this tragedy, timeline is right on to be at tapeats.

rehamxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #3
Paddling Since: 2002
had a buddy go a drunken solo night hike for about 4hrs one time on the san juan. nobody could find him and we we starting to get worried when he finally showed back up. hope somehow it all turns out okay
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #4

Sadly, in this kind of weather, and over this length of time, prospects for a happy outcome here are very low.

A fair number of drownings in GC result from someone going down to the river to pee -- often in the middle of the night -- and falling in. No PFD. Cold water. In this case cold air. If you are immediately immobilized by the cold water, maybe you can't cry out. Maybe your companions are sound sleepers, and don't hear the spash and your voice calling out.

We can only hope for a better outcome than the circumstances seem to indicate.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What a tragedy. A very dangerous environment to have an accident. Completely irresponsible to jump to conclusions. Hoping for the best outcome for all involved.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #6
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Nothing has been said about a sandbar. The specific camp has not been disclosed to my knowledge. There are a few places that they could have been camped on the north side in that area. Each of them have their own perils. It probably would be best to stop conjecture.

Best thoughts for all involved!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #7
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The article said it was below zero that night. Really?
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #8
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
First off this is a winter trip. There are no guides, just a TL. Second, if she disappeared near Tapeats, that means she was at least ten days into her trip. By this point, even if she was inexperienced(highly doubt that), she would be a pro.

Personally, I just got off a winter trip. And I can remember one chilly night at the Ledges campsite, staring at the moon, thinking that if you were to fall in the water no matter who you are, even if you were Chuck Norris' body guard, you would die within minutes. My conclusion is that is just a sad and tragic occurrence.

Zero degrees in the canyon is hella cold!
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #9
at least one of the news releases using NPS info mentioned a camp on a sandbar at about mile 134.5.

Think they used the South Rim temp to come up with zero degrees. At phantom, the lows were 30s-40s (if you google it, the first displayed temp you find for phantom is actually the south rim weather).

Easy to jump to conclusions about a pee bucket and its use or lack of use. She had plenty of outdoor experience. Perhaps more likely she went down to a boat to get something, slipped on a wet (or icy) tube or frame, and fell in. If she hit her head on the way down, she could not have called for help. I know this scenario could easily happen to experienced boaters, with no one to blame.

A really sad event.
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #10
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
There are no mid river sandbars in that area. At least I've never seen one in 45+ trips. Media tends to write many things that they make up in their own minds. Just speaking from personal experience.

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote