Old 01-15-2013   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't believe sandbars are solely in the middle of the river. Racetrack could easily be described as a sandbar. Not sure what mile it is exactly, but in that area.

Very sad story to hear, my condolences for friends and family.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It is sad indeed to be on a trip of a lifetime and have something like this happen. My condolences to the family and friends of Kaitlin Kenney.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #13
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Grand Canyon Incident Release (from the internal park service website):

On Saturday, January 12th, park dispatch received a call via satellite phone from a private river trip reporting that a member of their party was missing. Initial helicopter search operations were begun and rangers were flown to the scene, where it was determined that 21-year-old Kaitlin Anne Kenney of Englewood, Colorado, had last been seen Friday night at her group’s camp at river mile 134.5 near Tapeats Creek on the north side of the river. On Sunday, rangers continued their investigations and helicopter search operations while ground-based teams searched the Tapeats and Deer Creek drainages, Surprise Valley and along the Colorado River. Yesterday, based on their investigations and search efforts so far, the ground-based teams intensified their search efforts in the Tapeats Creek area. Kenney is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a tan knee-length coat, hiking boots, rugged tan pants, a long-sleeved grey shirt, multi-colored scarf and black knit cap. Visitors who think that they may have seen her or who have information that would aid in the park’s search efforts are asked to call the Grand Canyon tip line at 928-638-7767.

: No newer release yet: Will post this week if another comes up.

No sandbar info from the park. This was a private launch, not commercial, so Trip leader
isn't likely sitting up all night watching every person to ensure they stay in their tents.

As for most of us in the reply's in saying we don't have issues peeing in the river, we are guys, its not that hard. For a women.....icy rocks, slippery slopes, moving sand. Lot more changes.

AZ has been slammed with very cold temps. Its possible it was around 0. At the rim of Friday and Saturday high was 20, low of -15. 4000ft lower, with a cold river pumping past, either way it was cold! Here is the last 7 days:
National Weather Service - NWS Flagstaff

Says flagstaff, but the location is grand canyon airport.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #14
Thank you twitch.

Enough. Take your complaints to PM, get it off the forum. Both family and MEDIA look at this site.

Updated Park Service News Release:

The search for 21-year-old Kaitlin Kenney, underway since last Saturday, has been scaled back due to lack of clues as to her whereabouts. Kenney was last seen on Friday at a river camp located near Tapeats Creek on the north side of the Colorado River. Rangers used the park’s helicopter to search the river corridor and area trails for two days, while ground-based teams thoroughly searched the accessible trails, beaches, drainages and backcountry areas in the vicinity. With no additional clues to guide search efforts on land, the decision was made to scale the search back to a continuous but limited mode in which rangers and pilots will continue to search for clues when in the area. Flyers with Kenney’s picture and description remain posted at popular river trip launch and takeout points, and anyone with information regarding her whereabouts is encouraged to call the park tip line at 928-638-7767
Old 01-16-2013   #15
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
very sad

She sounded like an amazing young woman. Someone that would have been a wonderful addition to the boating community, and the community at large. A great loss.

While there is much speculation about what has happened, there are many possibilities. What is know is that there is not much room for error with winter air and water temperatures. Be careful out there.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #16
Paddling Since: 1994
nice work admin.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Inappropriate speculation posted about what may have happened, finger pointing, and other talk arising from that, is not suitable for this thread and was removed and then accidentally deleted. Please use MB's personal message system for any discussion with and schooling of new boaters who are less sensitive to the issue at hand.

MountainBuzz, and the portion of the boating community represented here, hold out hope that she will be found soon.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #18
Thanks Andy/Admin.

I'll post any further Park Service Releases as I see them. Hoping for the best or to at least find her for her family.
Old 01-16-2013   #19
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks, admin.
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #20
C. Springs, Colorado
I too would like to thank the admin's for their work.

My condolences to the family, friends and love ones. This is a trips worst nightmare. I hope and prey the rest of the trip makes it out OK.

Once again......condolances to all.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote