Old 11-17-2011   #11
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Where are you getting your flow information? Just curious as we need to find out the same for a spring trip, although it is probably too early.
Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Lake Powell
They post monthly updates of upper basin hydrology and the planned operation at Glen Canyon.
Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association has some good information as well, although also a lot of uninformed discussion on the channel morphology from the flow regimen.
__________________ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #12
I didn't catch whether you're in a raft or kayak, but never mind...
We ran at these flows last June.
Like everyone says, bigger, but more forgiving, especially in a raft.
In a kayak, there are some absolutely ripping eddy lines, as in mystery moves in a big boat.
Some rapids in the roaring 20's got really punchy. Specter was big. Only place we had a rafter wash out of their boat. Bedrock was easy - tons of room to get right.
Some camps were really small because the water was so high - not a lot of beach showing, but you don't have to worry about tides (Yea!).
We did the night float down to Pearce. I recommend going to Pearce, just not at night. There's strong current with tall caving silt banks all the way down. It's hard to find a place to tie off in the night that's safe from having a 10 foot sand bank land in your boat, and you sure as hell don't want to miss the take out.

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #13
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There are some good Youtube videos of the left run at Lava at those flows. Pretty safe over there. Most other stuff will be big-friendly waves, or skirtable. Damn, wish I were going!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #14
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are getting me pumped for the ditch.
Alanbol- We are doing a 6 day longboat self self support trip which will put us back in the real world on Christmas eve! All my wife said was "Have at it, as long as your back for your daughters first Christmas"
So I keep hearing about these eddy lines that could swallow my Tornado... Any particular spots I should watch out for?
speadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #15
Launching in 2 days for the 13 day long boat self-support! We'll let you know how 22k is. Probably a bunch of easy class 7 in a kayak...
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #16
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
you guys are so lucky!!

25 K in the winter. What an epic year!
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #17
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm not sure where you all are getting your info about 25K cfs. I was at an operations meeting last week, and the plan then was to have a steady release of 20,700 cfs. I just called the operator (I work with him, as I operate another CRSP unit - Navajo) and that is still the plan through Christmas. That is the max they can currently push through the generators.

Can't wait, launching next week!
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #18
Thanks rivermanryan. I dont know exactly where the TL is getting his info, but I'm guessing its not directly from the operator
speadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #19
We put in August 28 this year and had 25K for 4 days and then it dropped to 15.7 for the remainder of our trip. Take out at Pierce Ferry. I would agree with all the above posts. We ran the Grand 4 years ago at 10-13K and I think it was more difficult at that level. Have a ball!
eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #20

I recall a powerful eddyline somewhere in the mid 20s, 24 or 25 or so. Watch for places with a strong eddy return flow into a narrow line of haystacks.
Also, the lower part of bedrock was amazingly turbulent with incredible up and downwelling along seams. Fun stuff!

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote