Old 02-26-2011   #11
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I did it in a squirt boat at those levels once..... you got some great down time and it gets real dark when you go that deep

yak1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Playboat. Low gradient big water has the same form even as flows get higher. If you were a tenative class III boater, maybe a bigger boat would help, but for most boaters, a playboat is fine, and a hell of a lot of fun. There will be some great surf in there. The whitewater of the grand is hyped up to mythical proportions (is class 10!)... but the reality is that its mostly large volume class III. For a kayaker with a good brace a good roll the grand is not that hard.

Truth is that playboats are easier to get through big wave holes than bigger boats once you learn the technique (hit the huge breaking wave holes with a 10-11 or 1-2 o'clock angle, downstream edge, active paddle blade planted in the downstream foam pile to pull you through, while head butting the wave). Standard T up to the wave and punch results in back enders almost every time.

When in doubt... take the meat line!

Flatwater is not a big deal in a comfy boat like the superstar. The scenery will keep you entertained.

Also, getting throttled in a playboat in the large rapids is really part of the fun on big water. Its low consequence high fun factor, so don't worry too much.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #13
Thanks Deep south. I am ready for some Epic surfing sessions and monsterous wave wheels! GET SUM SON!
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #14
boulder, Colorado
About the play boat

A playboat is the way to go for sure. It really helps if you are real drunk when you boating though....

Just joking... or not. One thing about the play boat is that you will get caught in tons of boils and be spending a lot of time looking at the sky. just don't stress about this and remember less is more. A lot of people fight the boils, but that doesn't get you anywhere. You will still be spinning around like a top.
squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #15
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Deepsouth is definitely right. The grand is basically class 3 with great hikes. However, be prepared, because there is not that much playboating. Expect a really great wave at mile 24.5, but not a whole lot else. It's still a blast, though.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #16
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've playboated most of it. The meat isn't really a problem, good mystry moves in the eddy's!! I was wishing that I had a longer boat to take advantage of the super sick surf ops! The waves are just a little too fast and not steap enough to hold the shorter play boats very well. Plus, some of the fun holes are the same... just swallowed me in my play boat and spit me out the green water. Should be fun though...
rjacober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #17
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Today is my first day back at work from my Feb 9th launch. Our kayakers weren't wishing for a playboat at all. Too much (~250 mi) flatwater featuring moving holes and whirlpools. One guy brought a Remix and he was in great shape. I'd suggest a Remix, Diesel, Ammo or Huka.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #18
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Opinions....they obviously vary.

I took my playboat and got extremely frustrated that I couldn't catch some of the most beautiful waves......I just couldn't generate the speed. Even if I had....a lot of them weren't steep enough to stay on very long in a shorter boat.....

Lets put it this way, You'll see WAY more zen like waves that lend themselves beautifully to fast, carving surfs than you'll see short, steep wave holes that generate phenomenal playboating.

my .02
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #19
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Take an old-school long playboat like the Glide. You will be comfortable and can surf the huge glass waves.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #20
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
A shot of Jack for every hour you spend relaxing on my boat.

maureen is offline   Reply With Quote