Old 08-06-2006   #1
grand canyon & teen question

i have scored a place on an april grand canyon trip. it'll be my second trip. taking my raft. i'd like to pull my 17 yr old son out of school for two weeks to do the trip as i think it'd be the trip of a lifetime for both of us. he's an avid and skilled kayaker. he spent a week on the new river & the dries last spring, ran the middle portion of meadow creek, been down westwater twice, is comfortable in shoshone, waterton canyon, high water foxton, does wave wheels all the way down browns....he's been boating since he was 10 and doing raft trips since much younger. you get my drift.

no other kayakers on this trip. six boats. 12 people. he can certainly ride in the cat with me..and help row....and run what he feels comfortable with. the group i'm in will scout pretty much everything. very safety concious group.

i don't want to put him in over his head, want him to have a blast. would appreciate any thoughts from canyon boaters.

the other question, if he goes, he has a mamba he uses for big water but he mostly uses a ws zg. the mamba is much less fun. which would be the better boat though for a canyon run.

headwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
i dont see any problems - 14 year old girl kayaked it when I went down last time. she kicked arse.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #3
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
It doesn't sound like his skills are an issue, sounds like he is a pretty solid boater.

Which boat to take is the bigger question and that depends on how much is he going to be on the cat or will he be kayaking the whole time? The thing to think about is comfort,whichever boat he will be most comfortable in paddling all that flat water to the next rapid if he is kayking the whole thing.

He won't want to be in a boat that he has to constantly get out of to get the feeling back in his legs.

You are correct in thinking that this will be a trip of a lifetime, I hope you both have a great time down there.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #4
castle rock
Send a message via AIM to liam dunn
take it from a 17 year old who has already done it and missed the last 2 weeks of school to do so... yes. i paddled it at 15 in a playboat. go for it, like you said, it is the trip of a lifetime.
liam dunn is offline   Reply With Quote