Old 07-16-2006   #1
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Gore spectator section

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the railroad tracks? can people still watch from Tunnel on river right?

Is spectation (if the is even a word) kid freindly?

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
As far as I know, you should hike in from pumphouse and they have a ferry set up near tunnel so you can watch from river right. There is no access to, from, near or around the train tracks, they are strickly forbidden race weekend and anytime for that matter. we absoloutly have to respect that or risk loosing not only the event but any access. Joffe, feel free to chime in so we can plan accordingly.

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #3
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Yep, the tracks are off limits. We really need to make sure the word gets out, too. Last year the tracks were being patrolled, but I don't think there were any issues.
The BLM has been kind enough to let us take care of security (mostly) this year, so we need to make sure everyone follows the rules. Mark can fill in the details on what those rules actually state.
This is a freedom that we definitely don't want to lose. Remember last year? We want to keep it a stress-free environment so please stay off the tracks. Oh, and come by the beer tent for a New Belgium brew.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #4
Yea it is quite an enjoyable hike from pumphouse, just make sure you have on your hiking boots, bring some rope, and give yourself about 2 hrs. Have fun
cameljockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #5
Loveland, Colorado
I'm interested in that "kid friendly" spectator advice Mut mentioned. If anyone has advice about watching the Fest with kids, please share. I'm going to try and come watch this year, if I can. I want to see for myself what those Green Mountain releases look like in the canyon with kayakers racing on them!
Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #6
Honestly the hike is AWEFUL. I would not recommend having a kid hike that trail. Its almost as bad as the paddle in, although after the paddle in you there's a few rapids along the way that make you forget it.
cameljockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #7
Camel Jock

Call me right now you fuker 970-402-`1319
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #8
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Doesn't Kara get a VIP spectating booth with raft shuttle for her and her kids to spectating area for all of her help on keeping us informed on various water releases?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #9
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Hello Everyone,

Kim is correct, the railroad is definitely off limits. The Union Pacific does have the clout to cancel this event if spectators are Tresspassing. They have been very helpful and will continue as long as we as a community respect their wishes.

The ferry will be in place between Kirschbaums and Tunnel Falls. As has been mentioned, the hike is not the greatest. Its basically a fisherman's trail. There has been talk of improving it in the future. We want to work with a local group and the BLM to do this, but it won't be in place this year.

My advice is to rally a group to boat in, those unable to run the drops can walk around as long as the boat still has paddlers. The best view of Gore is really from river left. Traditionally everyone sits on the rock on river right. This area is accessible from the river, but not the tracks.

The view at tunnel is on river right however I've been told that it may be possible to make the hike all the way up on river left due to some new rock fall. I haven't scouted that yet.

For those who are interested, I will have a couple of boats going in around 8:00am Saturday morning to set the ferry. I'm thinking about a sweep boat as well, so we might be able to drop some great volunteers off at gore.

I'll be working with Mark Joffe and let you know as we progress.

Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #10

Just wanted to let you know I like this thread and that the word is out that the tracks are off limits. So everyone is aware Union Pacific has really come on board for Gore and its because no one ventured onto the tracks last year and it looks like we are going to do the same this year.

In regards to the trail it is in bad shape and something I would like to ultimtely change. I have spoken to the BLM on how we can do this and it comes down to the fishing and paddling community getting together to help fix up the trail in the spring. This year I will make sure the trail is marked again and look at getting a rope set up in spots where the trail falls away sharply. The trail certainly isnt for everyone and is a good hike.

Kara, how old, and how many kids are you talking about?

See you all at Gore

RP is offline   Reply With Quote