Old 08-25-2004   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Gore race results

Raw results are just in from Rapidpulse, and available in the following 2 formats. I will post HTML versions later today:

1) Click here for the results from the traditional gore race (PDF file)

2) Click here for the Excel sheet with the National Results (XLS file)

Nice work everyone! Huge thanks to Mark Joffe, Rapidpulse, CWWA, all the sponsors and all the volunteers who gave up paddling time to help put on this year's event. That was a great time, as always!

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #2
Gore Race

I want to thank Mountainbuzz for getting the results up for the Race. Also if anyone has feedback, opinions or questions about the Gore Race please let me know. Post it here on the forum. Rapidpulse wants to make this a solid race each year and ensure the entire whitewater community is involved. I am looking for ways to get kayakers more involved with Gore be it a rodeo, slalom, head to head races. All ideas welcome. Also looking for direction on boat categories. Want to get a 6ft and under class going. For all of you that raced or helped in any way thanks for the support.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Thanks RP (Mark?), my pleasure.

For feedback, I think it would be cool to go back to having the race on Saturday, and the party Saturday night. This means everyone gets to hang out for the party and paddle together on Sunday.

This is whacked, but years ago I entered the Topo Malafosse race in the french alps, at the time still a small class V steep creek event. Not sure if they still do this or not. Anyways, to this day I think this is one of the best race formats I've seen. One of the things that stood out was registration for the race. Race registration happened the evening before the race, and required some heavy drinking and dancing in order to qualify to enter the race. This seemed totally appropriate for a core, low-key, grassroots race. Everyone raced the same boats (Topolino). And the winners won their weight in Pate. Good times
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #4
I would like to see a head-head sprint race from the top of Gore to the bottom of Pyrite falls. Or even a boater cross, but that could get a little sketch with 4 people fighting for the same lines. Maybe a freestyle through a rapid in Kirschbomb with scoring based on technicality and difficultly of line, features used, and difficulty/amplitued of tricks performed. Or, what about extreme slalom through Gore rapid? Put up like 8 gates and time the event.

some ideas.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes

Great job with coordinating the rafting championships, everything went real smooth.
I agree with Frenchy, we need to have the party on Saturday night, more people will stick around this way. One of the best parts of Gore fest was when you could come back from paddling, pound some beers, and watch the carnage on a big screen with your buddies. I know the big screen might not be feasible with your budget, but maybe the video guys could bring something a little bigger to watch the race on.
Congrats to 8 Ball and Timberline chicks.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #6
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Thanks to Mark and his wife for all the efforts as well as Charlie Ebel for doing the safety for the race. I agree with the Sat. race suggestion. It makes it easier for everyone to let thier hair down knowing you can relax on Sunday. I think a bunch of paddlers took off Sunday afternoon as they had to travel home for Monday.
And thanks to Jed Selby for the new rivalry. It was great to see you again at the race. Looks like it's now best out of three Jed!

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote