Old 07-13-2005   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Gore race info - August 19-21, 2005

This year marks the return to the traditional format, with race and party on Saturday, and the addition of a Sunday 'Hangover Hell' race.

For general race information, go to:

Race organizers and the railroad are working out public access to the canyon. I'll post more on this in a few days. Check this thread for more details and an access map to be posted soon.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Hangover race is going to be SWEET!!!

It is a well needed event to spice up the Gore race. Can't wait to watch!! Good Luck!

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
This just in from the organizers. I will post more details, plus a detailed map for accessing the canyon by foot, shortly:

"Biggest issue is to stress that there is no railway access and it isn't like
years past. We have been dealing with the Union Pacific Headquarters in
Omaha and they are willing to play ball with us and help with the event as
long as we keep off the tracks. If we don't then the event could legally be
stopped. Gotta stress this and let people know we will have a trail to
tunnel and Kirschbaoum and only way into Gore rapid is by raft or kayak, not
on the tracks. Also at Gore people need to stay away from the tracks but we
will chat more in the next couple weeks"
Old 07-20-2005   #4
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Is there going to be a tube category. Seems the cool thing to do now??
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #5
I don't know if we will get our own category, but the racxe is open to all craft. Barring any unforseen longboarding injuries, there will be two of us entering the Gore Race. I look forward to meeting some of you in person.
Tube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When racing on a tube, are hand paddles and flippers fair game or is that cheating?
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #7
I "always" race hung over......heheh...the ones not hung over..are cheating..!!!
manofthehouse4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #8
Steamboat, Colorado

Update: 08/09/05

Just a quick update on Gore 2005, after speaking with organizer Mark Joffe (RapidPulse), and Denise (BLM).

BLM will be posting an area closure map and miscelleneous restrictions sometime next week. The access map will include access by foot into the canyon from the take-out. FYI, the railroad is 100% closed for access this year. Spectators will be able to access Tunnel by foot from the takeout.

Beer. 100% of the proceeds from beer sales will go to non-profits. The list of non-profits includes: Colorado Whitewater Association (CWWA), USA Raft teams (Men and Women), and the college trust fund for Lydia Dreher (3yr child whose dad perished while kayaking Pine Creek earlier this year). Support these non-profits by drinking lots of beer.

Food and coffee. There will be plenty of food and coffee for everybody, from Saturday through Sunday morning. Bring coin for food, coffee and beer.

Camping. The BLM will be inforcing permits and camping passes over the Gore weekend. Make sure to pay for camping and parking to avoid fines.

Video and Music. Feel free to bring videos to show on the big screen. Last year's band will be playing on top of the bus, while videos will be showing under the band on the side of the bus.

Any questions, post here. I'm headed to OR in a few but can get any questions answered by the BLM or the event organizers next week.

Old 08-12-2005   #9
Redcliff, Colorado
Still looking for safety staff for Saturday. Free camping, beer coupons, cool poly top and the gratitude of the racers...Please drop me an email

cebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #10
Steamboat, Colorado
Hey Charlie, how many more sfety boaters do you need? I may know some folks that can help out.