Old 08-08-2006   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Gore race for nonboating spectators

There was some post on this before, but I'm looking for a more detailed answer. If someone doesn't boat and can't get a raft ride in, but they want to do some spectating of the race, what's the deal with getting to Tunnel? I know there's a fisherman trail for a little bit out of Pumphouse, but after that is just bushwhacking? How bad is it? How long does it take? Is it worth it, or is it better just to drink beer at camp and wait for the music and beer? Thanks for any info.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
There is a trail up to the top of Kirschbaums from Pumphouse. We will be running a ferry above Kirsch over to river right so that you may walk up to Tunnel. The trail to Kirsch is not maintained although we'll be putting some rope in on the sketchy parts. Once you cross at the ferry, its more like a boulder scramble for about 1000'.

Its fun, but so is beer drinking. My favorite spot is Kirschbaums but I'm timing so that's as far up as I can go on race day.

Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #3
Hiking to Kirsch

My wife & I would like to hike to Kirsch to watch the race, but she has artificial knees. She's not too good at scrambling. Probably won't take the ferry & walk to Tunnel, but would like to go to Kirsch, if possible. Is it doable for her? How far is it? How long does it take? Thanks.
geeturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
The hike to Kirschbaums is not the best. I would describe it as an unimproved fisherman's trail. There is a high section about half way to the rapids that is off camber and slippery. We will be putting in some rope to help people stabilize as they cross.

I'd say if your wife is up for most hiking it will be okay, but you might want to have some advil with you. On the hike out, there is a chance that the rafts from the ferry could take you. We don't have a lot of room, but I could make room if the need was there. You would want to bring your PDFs for that. I'm not sure how soon they will be coming out yet, but the option is there.

Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote