Old 08-25-2012   #1
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Gore on ESPN, the Best Gorefest ever?

It's great to see the Gorefest is back and going strong - kudos to Lisa et al from Timberline for making it happen! For those old timers who have been doing the Gore Race scene forever, wondering thoughts on the best Gorefest ever? Check out this vid from 2002 event (as I recall) with Gore being featured on ESPN. My vote is for the year this was filmed and we had the jumbotron at the pumphouse, and mega kegs of NBB...and no cop raids or accidents and the railroad gestapo actually took our film crew and photogs in up the tracks. The next year after that was the Rancho nightmare and then the cop raid at Pumphouse followed after that.

Best of Gore carnage video to come (from like a decade of races) if I can find it in the archives and dust it off (convert from analog to digital). MAJOR crash and burn! PS..the ESPN editors flailed, that shot of Nelson winning is actually Aaron Pruzan from Rendevous in Jackson - what does ESPN know about kayaking anyway!

eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #2
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Ha, that was my first gorefest before I knew how to kayak. Definitely one of the best - still have the t-shirt. I remember thinking people were nuts for taking kayaks down. Now you couldn't pay me money to get in a raft above gore rapid.

The next year of the rancho mess was also the year I got the best seats ever for the race on Indecision rock with our raft wrapped at my feet.

One of my favorite years was a lot smaller. Nearly everyone was able to gather around a big bonfire and we passed around a huge bottle of iced Jäger. Nick Turner was there and kept screaming 'beer pile' as he chucked emptys into the circle.

Love me some Gorefest. One of the original kayaking ragers!

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #3
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yeah tons of great stories from Gorefest over the years. Joe we prob. have footage somewhere of that raft wrap, that sounds familiar! Our best of Gore vid carnage segment has mega carnage from like a decade of event filming. Hopefully the race footage has been archived since 2003 and somebody puts together another crash and burn compilation. Am sure Gorefesters could entertain buzzers with endless epic year a kiwi (won't name names) was walking across huge tree across major campfire (hammered of course) and fell face first into the fire...and still raced (burns and all).

eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote