Old 07-26-2007   #51
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Does anybody know if Justin Cyder is gonna race this year??

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #52
Denver, Colorado
It would have been Aug 17-19. I'm wondering who all is still planning to go out there and have a good time? Even if people can't or don't want to run Gore - who's going anyway?

Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #53
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Regarding Gore Canyon Aug 17-19, things to be worried about:

1) getting pounded at Tunnel.
2) getting arrested by the BLM.
3) the sanitary condition of the shitters by Sunday morning.

Things not to be worried about:

1) Whether kayakers will show up and have a good time.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #54
Denver, Colorado
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #55
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Be safe and have a great time!

I am not planning to head out there this year. I am very sad that the festival isn't going to happen, but the area just can't support that many people without the extra "amenities". Everyone be safe and have a GREAT weekend. Please be kind to the BLM rangers because they have been very helpful getting GoreFest back on track after it was "derailed" (sorry about the pun). I am hoping that we can maintain the good relationship and have the festival next year. Never too early to start planning.
I would advise working out bail before you leave town

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #56
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So far the only information I've heard beyond speculating is from Deepsouth, who called BLM and was told that it should not be a problem as long as the dispersed camping is used after the Pumphouse grounds are filled, and one guy from the forest service who guessed that an informal race organized on the internet would be no problem as long as loud partying at the campground was kept in check.

Honestly, I haven't heard a thing to scare anyone off. Stay off the railroad tracks, bring a groover, use the dispersed camping, and be chill. Sounds like no problem to me, even a bunch of dumb boaters can follow these rules. Should be good times. I'm leaving bail money at home.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #57
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Self policing

It will be interesting tor see what happens when our corner of the world turns in to Rocky Mountain National Park,Washington D.C., Bad Lands, Arches or any other beautiful national park.

I really do think that the BLM wants only three things:

1) That people have fun and can enjoy the public lands

2) That people are safe (from others and themselves)

3) That they do not have to clean up after people.

Can the boating community do it without the BLM, Sherriff, and big dollar sponsors? Lets see...

Don't forget to bring LOTS of the Husky contractor bags.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #58
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Fast race lines Sunday. See you in a couple weeks.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #59
Kremmling, Colorado
BLM's Reply

Hey guys, whether it’s the official or “unofficial” Gore Race, it needs a Special Recreation Permit (SRP) from the Bureau of Land Management. Without that authorization, participants face fines, jail time, and civil repercussions. It’s serious stuff, and at this point it’s too late for this year to get an SRP for August.

Why? BLM issues SRPs to implement recreation management objectives and ensure fair return to the public for recreation uses on BLM lands and waterways. SRPs are required for commercial activities (e.g. outfitting businesses), competitive events (e.g. river races), organized groups (e.g. large groups that are not commercial or competitive), and for individuals in special areas (e.g. river permits for private parties in Westwater Canyon). The Gore Canyon Race – officially authorized or otherwise – is competitive and therefore requires an SRP.

So we’re asking that you help us out and hold off this year so we can ensure we have another great event next year. Gorefest is an increasingly complicated event that requires a great deal of planning and work up-front. We have a number of issues that make this a complex event - parking, camping, congestion at Pumphouse, and potential safety issues surrounding the event (Class V whitewater, the adjoining railroad tracks, communications, and emergency evacuations). We also need to do a great deal of coordination with the railroad, which has a number of concerns. These are all things that are worked out through the SRP process – that’s why it can take so long.

A little background might help. BLM met with Mark Joffee on February 21, 2007 to discuss the 2007 festival. Mr. Joffee presented his preliminary proposal and discussed possible changes to the 2006 operations. A schedule for meeting permit requirements was developed and agreed to by BLM and Mr. Joffee. By mid April BLM started hearing rumors that Rapid Pulse was not going to organize the event this year. A call to Mr. Joffee confirmed the rumor.

BLM did not hear any other news about the event until early July when I received a call from Lisa Reeder of Timberline Tours inquiring about a permit. Ms. Reeder had recently learned that a permit had not been secured for the race and wanted to know what would be required. I informed Ms. Reeder that BLM permit policy calls for applications to be submitted 180 days prior to an event. Based on the historic nature of the event and the progress that BLM, race organizers, and the railroad had made over the past few years, I told Ms. Reeder that I would talk to the managers in the office and see if BLM would make an exception. The decision was to not process a permit application. The decision was based on the complexity of the event and the need to maintain consistency with policy. BLM determined that it was unreasonable to issue a permit in such a short period of time. I informed Ms. Reeder of the decision and conveyed BLM’s commitment to work with her on a permit for a 2008 race. We agreed to start the process in January of 2008.

BLM has enjoyed a positive, and improving, relationship with both the organizers of past events and the railroad in the planning and administration of the Gore Canyon Race SRP. BLM commends Mr. Joffee and Ms. Reeder for their commitment to the sport of whitewater boating and the Gore Canyon Race. BLM Kremmling recognizes Gore Canyon as national whitewater resource and its importance to the whitewater boating community. We are committed to working with the whitewater community and event organizers to ensure the 2008 event is a safe and successful event.
andyatBLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #60
Indian Hills, Colorado
Scary. The "Man" is everywhere!

crane is offline   Reply With Quote