Old 06-21-2007   #11
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Hello all,

Mark is in Korea right now at the IRF Worlds, so I'll cover what I can.

Funding really was the big hold up for the organized event Mark has been running. In order to hold the event, Insurance was required for every participant, the BLM, the railroad and the overall event. My understanding was that Mark and the ACA had an agreement in the past for the paddlers, but it wasn't logistically possible this year so his costs went up.

There were also costs involved with the Permits from BLM, toilets, trash, etc. etc. Many thanks as always to those sponsors who brought in money or In-kind donations to help defray the costs.

Mark worked through the winter trying to secure a major title sponsor without success. The only other way to defray the cost would be to increase the entrance fees ($25-$30 higher per person?) Obviously that idea wasn't ever seriously considered. The average paddler is already tapped out. So the only choice was to cancel.

If a sponsor were to materialize, Mark would by all means produce something. Without a sponsor, the liability for Rapidpulse and Mark (without insurance) is too high.

Enjoy Gore its a blast right now.

Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am up to organize the comp........ who organized it last year??? Consider boater recruitment, safety, timing, and judges done, done and done- however permits may take a minute of work.......

shuttelhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #13
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
How much

Any idea how much money we are talking about?
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #14
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Posted for Mark:

"Mark Joffe here, the Gore Festival Event Organizer: It was a difficult
decision to cancel the Gore Race. We have manged to build it up to a fun
festival with some great racing and I was planning to make it even
smother this year. However due to my loss of the insurance and also the
need to put in better control for the event due to its growing size I
could not take the risk as I had no serious cash sponsor in place. I was
looking for $12,000 to make it happen which is an extremely small amount
of cash for an event of this size. This along with entry fees would
cover the the costs.
I do want everyone to know that people like Hobie, Mark at Keen, Matt
Solomon and Teva where being very supportive in trying to make this
happen but they to had trouble finding the cash necessary to make this
happen. I also want to be very clear that the BLM has been nothing but
supportive of this race and worked extremely hard to try and make it a
success and are also upset it is not happening at this point. If I am
able to find the cash I know we can work out a way to get the festival
I know people will be at Gore race weekend irregardless, but please
respect the BLM and their regulations and stay off the railway at all
times. I am in Korea and will be back in the USA July 5th. If anyone
wants to email me directly please feel free to:
Mark Joffe"
Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #15
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
smaller sponsors

What do you think the lieklyhood of getting a number of smaller sponsors? First Bank or Alpine Bank, Ginn, Local Businesses. 25 x $500 = $12,500. Liquor Stores?? I'd do some canvassing.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #16
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Just throwing my 2 cents in.......As an event organizer it is very hard to come up with money in such a short period of time. From my position (Not speaking for Mark) If everyone is serious about offering to help then you should just Go for it......Gain some major Sponsorship commitments (ie $$$) then present it to Mark after you've got the commitment and see if he can still pull it off.....Time is for sure running out. It's a lot to ask Mark to pull off in such a short period of time but with some real aggressive and motivated people getting the cash in hand GORE FEST could still happen. (anyone have a super rich uncle that wants to be the guest of honor??) Call or email me and I can help you put together a marketing packet for you sales pitch!!!
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #17
Denver, Colorado
unsponsored please

I say keep it small. Informal race with everyone bringing their own $10 timex to see who won. Start whenever you want, no need to wake up early. No shutting down the river to non-competitors or whatever stupid shit would happen this year. Who needs all those cops and drug dogs? And why pay for beer that you should just be pulling out of your own cooler anyway? I hate wearing wristbands.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #18
The gore race is not a small race no matter what you want to think. It has grown in size and as such the reality is there needs to be a descent structure in place to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. This includes small things like making sure people are there to help you park your car so there is space for everyone and you dont get stuck out in the overflow lot because someone took 4 spaces. It stops probelems before they happen so there is never any need for the cops and dogs. Also for all of you at Gore last year I think this issue was completely resolved and there was a lot of support and balance from the BLM.

As for the beer it has always been my philosophy to support the industry that supports me. Every cent made from the beer sales went to non profit organizations to help protect rivers like the Colorado or the US mens and womens raft teams. None of it was ever used to support rapidpulse or the event itself. Everyone should be lining up to buy beers in this instance so you can ensure the right to paddle rivers as a kayaker when you want.

I also remeber the free shuttle services for the kayakers to help them get to the river last year which meant no closure of any kind.

In regards to the race there is nothing wrong with trying grassroots but do you know what it takes to do an emegency evacuation in case of an accident and who is involved from the boaters to all the various private and government agencies. Do you realise the negative effects boaters will have to incur if people walk on the railway tracks? It is the reason the dogs and cops where at Gore in 2005.

I would hate to see all the good that the comunity has done in the past 2 years building the necessary relations go to waste and back to square one.
I beleive that all the people that attended the last gore races should be proud of being a part of a great festival and that they where part of a good thing that had positive results.

If you all get togehter and make a race happen please work with the BLM, Union Pacific and each other so it remains a good place for all of us now and in the future.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #19
Denver, Colorado
I somewhat dissagree with you Mark. It is my opinion that it is the circus tents, New Belgium keg truck, bands, and advertising that bring the crowds. Without all of that, you won't have pedestrians walking up to Gore or Tunnel rapid or the need for cops and dogs. The weekends before and especially after the race will see very few cars at the put-in. I was one of 3 groups the 4th weekend of August last year. Never saw more than 9 cars at the put in other than the race weekend itself.

As for the emergency evacuation. It would be as it is every other weekend at Gore or any other river in Colorado for paddlers simply running it. Racers though are different, I agree. If there ends up being a grass-roots race, there either needs to be well organized safety or the racers better be familiar with the run and aware of the consquences. It has been repeated many times that this is the weekend to try out Gore because of the additional safety. Something new organizers need to take into consideration.

I think we are mainly dissagreeing about the Gore festival not the Gore race. The race is always well staffed, organized, and executed. I prefere to watch from Tunnel and take my time as I run it (my only race back in 01 or 02 resulted in a swim at Tunnel and second to last place with a time in the 40 something minute range). BTW, I am an AW member and drinking a New Belgium Skinny Dip right now.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #20
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

Does anyone have any new information on this?

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote