Old 06-01-2012   #1
Charlottesville, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2000
Gore Canyon. When will it flow???

Hi all,

When will Gore Canyon start to flow? I would be happy with anything over 450 cfs. I am not familiar with the river, but I am so surprised that it is so low. Is there a dam that is holding back the water.

I will be in CO from 6/13 - 6/24, and I was banking on Bailey and Gore for reliable runs to do during that time. I have heard rumors that releases would start happening in June, but as of the 1st day of the month, it is still below 450.

What is up man?? Can someone help me figure this out??

vayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Gore is partially fed from Green Mountain Res. near Silverthorne, usually there is a bit of early season release so the dam won't overflow but this year there is no early season release- they are filling the dam and keeping the water for late season.

You will need to watch Bailey since it's a dam release run and has already been releasing and will probably continue to run with the hot weather coming to the Front Range next week.

You should also look at the Poudre Narrows as they run down to a foot (currently around 3 feet) on the rock gauge found here: Rock Reports | Poudre Rock Report There are not really any big reservoirs on the Poudre - a few small lakes but they are releasing now and won't help later on.

Black Rock on Clear Creek can be run low as well.

Releases don't happen like clockwork - it's all based on irrigation needs downstream so you can't count on anything and have to keep watching gauges and be flexible.

or you could keep driving and hit up the NW which actually had a good winter and received snow unlike CO

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #3
Paddling Since: 1993
The Cameo call in Grand Junction is one of the most senior rights on the river. Currently the demand is met by natural flow mostly coming from the Roaring Fork and the Eagle. Once those start to drop out there will be no alternative other than to run water through the upper Colorado or from Reudi Reservoir on the Frying Pan. So when it will run depends largely on how long runoff from the tributaries lasts. Your trip is definitely cutting Gore close and I would not bank on it at this time. Its a bummer water year in Colorado for everybody. Tourists included!
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #4
Eagle, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Also keep an eye on the Eagle River flows. As they drop lower, the Colorado will come up to keep the minimum flows feeding Shoshone Power Plant. Again, the water would come from Green Mountain, which should get Gore up above the 450 mark.
jmrider19 is offline   Reply With Quote