Old 03-27-2007   #1
Gore Canyon Question

I'm looking to run Gore Canyon for the first time this season and probably want to hit it in the 900-1000 cfs range (I don't want it high for a canoe run).

Is there anyway to know what month it is most likely to be in that range? It has always been too high for my taste when I've been in CO. It looks like I will be out in mid June and mid July this year. Thanks-

dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
a canoe at 1000

it might be kinda fun i wouldn't take a canoe down through gore though long walk out

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #3
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Gore would be a great open boat run......there just aren't many canoeist in the CO......Everything is scoutable and runnable in a canoe (if you have the balls) I would recommend a flow of 750-1000 cfs (for your maiden voyage).......All depends on the snowpack and Green MTN release....Could easily be in during your trip. I would love to get in there with you. I've only seen pictures of canoes in there.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #4
Golden, Colorado
My last time down we saw an open boater. I think he ran everything except the top part of Gore. It seems to be in that range most of the time after peak runoff has come and gone. Most everytime I've gone down its been in that range - maybe up to 1200. This year I'll have to pay attention what happens during runoff. It would be cool to check it out with more wate rin it.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #5
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

We have some OC-1ers out here. There are probably only a couple of OC-1ers that I know that have the skills and guts to run Gore Canyon. I am not one of them.

Have you met Sammer Elias before? I know he ran it last year in his Detentator. I think he is out of the state for this summer? However, there are a couple others in our crew that might be up for it. Send me your email in a PM and I would be glad to forward a few pics of Sammer running Gore and Bailey. I will also forward your information to our group.

I have no idea what the level of Gore will be in mid June. There are a lot of variables; snow pack, weather, dam releases, etc. You could go to the flows page and look at the history.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #6
right now would be a good time to do it. The flow is at 850 which is a great first time level without being boney. Other wise, when it runs in the fall try to catch it on the way up or the way down. My guess for this year is that it will start running in august, but who knows.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #7
If you want to do it I would come along and run it with you in a C-1 or a Canoe. I know that stretch pretty well but have not paddled many open boats in a few years. What you will probably be concerned with is if you swamp, which you will swamp a canoe in there, can you get to the side quick enough to empty her out. Do you have huge float bags or a sort of decked canoe like the quake or skeeter type of boat? PM me if you want to fire it up cause I love C Boating and just don't really run many rivers anymore with one. Depending on your boat I would imagine there is a increased possibility that if you flip and can not roll on demand, your boat will wrap and be destroyed. Once you hit gore rapid it is non stop action for about 2.5 miles. I have seen plenty of swims in the bottom of gore where experienced kayakers on saftey could not pull a creek boat out until below pyrite. Just a thought, don't take you prize boat in there cause it could get damaged.