Old 03-03-2009   #31
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
I don't claim that people are completely unsafe paddling class II-III solo, I simply draw my personal line at no solo boating.

PS, who is gonna take that train ride soon?

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #32
Indian Hills, Colorado
It's kind of a buy the ticket, take the ride issue. Personally, I'm terrified of moving water. That's why I never shower alone.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #33
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i will give out a free tie dye tshirt for the first person with the goods. unworn. your choice on colors. designs .
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #34
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
I am pretty experienced on my inflatable Shamu... Do you think I can solo Gore without ever seeing it? I will probably wear a pair of water wings or two... And aren't there some hot springs in there?
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #35
oh yeah
Shamu's good to go but the water wings are totally overkill. it's only class IV. and on a serious if one can tube gore than anything could go.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #36
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
All the same, would probably be a good idea to have another Orca to go with.... just in case ~ but thanks for the encouragement danger

~ Safety is no accident
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #37
Paddling Since: 96

Early in reading this thread I was gonna say you don't know what you don't know. Kudos to you for listening to the feedback in this thread. As others have said, solo paddling is a calculated risk. Give yourself the time to gather the experience so that calculation is more informed. Early season solo boating on a new run that is at the limits of your skill and experience is not a good risk IMO. Get more time on the rio, find a good guide, and then have a good day on Gore. The river ain't going anywhere, paddle it when yer really ready. IMO, managing your progression is one of the keys to a safe and successful love affair with paddling.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #38
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
it's all good

As I already stated, having a solid crew is the best approach to boating.

That said, I (not everyone) am okay with me occassionally boating solo. When I endeavor to boat solo I treat it with even greater intent, respect and caution than I may normally do with a crew. To me it becomes an intimate experience. I scout everything. I can read the river well enough after a thorough inspection to know exactly what I need to accomplish (plan A) and have myself prepared for what would have to happen if I mess up (Plan B, and C). I really become one with the river, canyon, and spiritual beliefs. I listen and know if I should walk something. I also know if I can run it. That is where I have had the greatest rewards kayaking. Being by myself hiking in, boating no-portage, hiking out, riding the shuttle on my mtn bike, and camping in serinity. Life doesn't get any better than that.

I am certain there are few that can relate to this. Most people will never consider it. If anyone does, though, and cares for my opinion on their ability, judgement, or expectations, ... I will share my truthful wisdom with them. Last year I contemplated my many adventures in my life, of which boating is only one of my passions, and I think it occurred to me that I can safely say I have boated over 8,000 miles, possibly closer to 10,000 miles, of rivers in my life. I have had many awesome experiences of FDs and more. Boating is the life. And sometimes it is extra special doing it alone. Which is no different for me than skiing or dirt biking through the mountains alone. Someday it may be my doom. Who knows? I hope I don't die in a car or of illness. A heart-attack or a catastrophe would be better in my view. When I die, though, I will be able to say I lived life. I think this was Tod, Tom, and Paul's views as well. We saw places and did things that few else can imagine. Boating has been a thrill for me. Sometimes nearly too much, but I'm still here and feel fairly confident that I will be for a long time. But who knows? Why contemplate how long we're expected to live. All my life, people have dropped like flies young and old. We shouldn't think we can be in control of our life expectancy. I am for experiencing life. Living with respect. Living with Harmony. Living faithful to our creator.

Nuff said. Let's go boating!

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #39
student, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 2004
if you dont like people that paddle solo or chew big red, then fuck you !
paddlehead21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #40
Redcliff, Colorado
Hey Ken,
Well said. Especially comments addressing a heightened sense of focus and deliberative approach to paddling. I'd also point out the absence of any peer pressure to run questionable drops as well as the ability to move faster and maintain rythm on the river. All contribute to a safer, more rewarding padding experience in my opinion. As for solo padding in general, some poeple like it, some don't. I do.

cebel is offline   Reply With Quote