enough safety shit whats the report.

paddling 5's solo is no bueno.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #12
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
" I will however, pay for all gas, beer, hotel -- whatever. "

Too bad its Jason and not Jennifer, Jessica or Jasmine. Might have more takers. Although im sure Harvey might enjoy a night with a stranger in a Kremmling hotel, a few PBRs and a full tank of petrol.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
haha, you guys are funny. I'm not going to get on my knees, but that said I'm pretty eager to please. Just addicted to this boating thing, which I'm sure most of you are. I'm always appreciative of your advice and am not trying to buck trends or kill myself.

That said, I actually enjoy boating solo sometimes. The problem with it is I always have to boat under my peak when going alone -- so Gore is definitely out for me on a solo run.

Seems like the same is always said about free solo climbing (which I'm too chicken shit to do). However to me its more of a personal issue and I get a little chuckle when my wife gets freaked seeing folks soloing the Bastille.

So, is there an etiquette to boating alone, some are for, some opposed and some indifferent... Are there laws against it on some runs? Do other boaters really feel that solo boaters are stupid as one individual poster called me? I know this could have the potential to take up 4 pages of posts, so please forgive me.

jaansdornea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
JASON you are to neive. learn from others. most class 5 boaters die in class 3 water.
boating under your peak is like saying you are only going to the little kid skate park and have no way possible of breaking a leg or wrist. wrong.

the etiquette. if you are boating alone and disrespecting the river than most respectful boaters will turn down your offer in the future; say a guide for gore. its bad etiquette if you are running class 4's only and sometimes doing them solo? you will learn faster and have more fun with another person. so to put it short and sweet. solo boating is no bueno.

none of the good boaters alive today were solo boaters. maybe some solo runs here and there when desperation calls but more than likely not happening.

this isn't climbing. you have moving water that doesn't turn off or where you can take a break like on everypart of a climbing wall. the water doesn't stop.

do you know what a rope is for? do you know how to use one. have you ever swam in a hole that would hold you. if you said NO, than i wouldn't go into gore until a little later this year, when its aleast a little warmer.
Old 03-03-2009   #15
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
thanks Mike -- good points.
jaansdornea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #16
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Back to the important stuff, what's the ice situation in there?
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #17
Bozeman, Montana
yes whats the deal? frozen, half frozen? ice on the sides? somebody has to have the report.
Old 03-03-2009   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Do a search on boating solo - the topic has been discussed ad nauseam before. I would say the majority of people are ok with it on the right run for your skill level.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #19
Steamboat, Colorado
Casper I think your underestimating the number of people who boat alone. Many of the better boaters I know take solo missions either for personal reasons or due to lack of partners on that given day. I wont, but know plenty of people who have solo'd Gore, Bailey, and Narrows on the Poudre.

I think it comes down to you need to be ready for the consequences of your actions. If your on a crowded river, you make yourself a liability and endanger others who will step up to help you which is not fair to ask since you do not know them. Luckily the river community as a general rule will always jump into action for a friend or stranger. On quieter sections you need to be prepared for the fact that no one but you is able to help, that's the mindset I was trained for in class 5. If you think you will need the safety that should be set as a caution for the drop, then you should not run that drop. If your willing to accept a swim alone in that water you need to be prepared for the consequences.

I won't ever solo a 5, but (hopefully my mother is not reading this) doubt I will ever give up solo boating. Sections I am comfortable on, know the risk vs reward (possible equipment loss/injury/death) I will continue to solo.

I think it was Don who had a quote that went something like "Solo boating is a victimless crime, much like punching someone in the dark" always made me laugh even though I probably butchered it.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #20
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
solo topic

Granted, most people are uncomfortable boating and or even condoning boating solo. However, I say it is a personal choice. One will come to know if it is a potential of one's self.

To hear said that there are no good boaters alive that have been solo boaters is not true. In fact, generally those that are dead did not die from boating either. Often it is car wrecks and illnesses.

Personally, I believe that we are mostly solo everytime we run a class V. Usually there is little that someone else could do to help you. Often you would merely be endangering the lives of others trying to save you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that everyone run out and start boating solo. To the contrary, I recommend we boat with compatent crews that we trust to save us if necessary and for us tosave them.

Nonetheless, as humans we sometimes learn to extend our limits and great accomplishments are achieved. Great to that person only perhaps, but maybe inspiring to man kind in a bigger view of life. When I think of all the extreme sports tricks youth are accomplishing now days it is amazing. Somebody had to push beyond normal limits to achieve their reward. Although, I consider most of those stunts are more suseptible to bodily injuries that will affect them the rest of theirs lives.

Kayaing class V solo is risky too, but is possibly much safer than many other things people are doing these days. Life is dangerous in my opinion. Kayaking is almost cake in comparison these days. I know I have boated solo dozens of times on class IV and V. I know I will likely do it again and often. Hopefully I won't have to ... if I can always find a trusty and enjoyable crew. Otherwise, if I'm feeling it and need get me some ... then you may find me solo in the UTB, Bailey, Pine or Clear Creek of Ark again at anytime.

I say cheers to the likes of Tod Hebblewhite, who soloed the UTB at 4000 cfs, FD the Embudo solo at 4', and Hermosa at some flood level. He, Tom Nofzinger, and Paul Zirkelbach were my inspirations. We'are going to die sometime. Why not enjoy what you feel up to.

As always ... Cheers and leave no trace!

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote