Old 10-13-2010   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I agree. It's silly to not do a run because you have to portage something. Many classic runs would never be run. The tunnel scout and portage are pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.

OP seems to have the drop a little confused. The center is the worst part of the hole. You can run a far right line whereby you can avoid the main hole. It has a technical pinny entrance, but if you negotiate the entrance you will have no trouble boofing the drop and avoiding the hole. jennifer used to run this line all the time and made it look pretty damn good.

Most people just try to boof a little left of center because it gives you the most fun line and seems on par in terms of difficulty with the other lines. Tunnel really has no good "sneak". I think the are good reasons to walk tunnel. The hole thrashing could wreck havoc on a shoulder and many people toy with the rock to the face move after getting pushed far left.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #12
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I guess I was mistaken about tunnel, like I said I was under the impression that Tunnel was something you had to run blind and follow someone. When I can scout something I feel about 200% more comfortable... add following someone's line down and I am as comfortable as it gets.

If I didn't respect gore I wouldn't be asking these questions, I have an immense amount of respect for it as I set it as my pinnacle run for the year.

Thanks for all the great beta guys, I think I will be dropping in within the next two weeks.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #13
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Scouting is easy, portage isnt bad.. and if you decide not to walk Gore & / or Tunnel.. that run is still an awful lot of fun.. Have at it !!!!
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #14
Golden, Colorado
You can scout everything and portage everything. Most people scout Gore and Tunnel their first time down. Some scout Applesauce, Scissors and Pyrite depending on ther comfort level. You may be thinking of Toilet Bowl which most people don't scout, they just follow someone through the sneak rout which is a Class III move. But you can scout that too if you want to. Most people don't scout Kirschbaums just because it is the longest rapid and mostly read and run with eddys to catch for a confident IV+/V- paddler.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #15
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
go with a good crew, they won't mind if you want to scout. I personally think the stuff in-between the big rapids is the funnest stuff. have a good time, wish I was back in CO and could run gore again!
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #16
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Gore canyon is Fun! Scout @ Gore rapid through Pirate. You can run the Gore stretch many different ways...identifying your swimming options is very important. Do not swim a long while with your paddle, if you can't make an eddy quickly with your paddle ditch it promptly then swim the hardest you've ever swam upstream in the slack water and fairy yourself to shore. When you get to tunnel it's up to you...If you charge it with a good delayed boof anywhere besides the left 1/5 "piton undercut sneak corner" you will probably flush out, if you don't have speed you will surly be destroyed...if you get stuck in tunnel be patient it will eventually flush you out the right side...use your offside roll (left side) if your bow is pointed towards river right. The other option is to pull your skirt because chundering water is scary, then the hole will gather you & your gear and deposit the shrapnel in the simple self-rescue eddy. Next is toilet bowl; I suggest scouting and finding your line or running the sneak as far river left as you can possibly get. If you go into the hole pull your skirt and tuck into a ball keep your eyes open and enjoy the fade to black before you resurface 20' downstream...K-Bomb is the next rapid it's a river-wide read and run blast of Fun! Relaxing paddle out...then rush back for a second lap...I would take you &/or anybody who's willing to put themselves into Class V down the steepest section of the Colorado anytime...dry suits are overrated; dress for cold air and cold water...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #17
Left of center, time your boof right, and know it will flush!
EddieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #18
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Eddie, what flow was that video shot at? I usually head into tunnel expecting to swim and then I'm super stoked if I make it through.
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #19
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That is the worst Tunnel beat-down I have seen (video). I've watch a lot of runs and I think Tunnel breaks down like this (for Kayakers)

1. Perfect Line - do the drop without flipping
2. Clean Line - do the drop and get flipped and flushed for a roll
3. Ugly Line - get stuck in the hole (usually on the right side) eject for an easy swim in the pool
4. Portage - I think the portage sucks compared to all other options other than a nasty hole ride. It sucks because it is a time suck, not that it is really hard, or dangerous. It just takes time.
5. Bad Line - (see video)

I'm content with the center left line, very late hip boof, flip, flush and roll.

I always go into Gore Canyon with the option to walk Gore and Tunnel. It just depends on how I am feeling on the water. Class V has a slim margin, you've got to know your skills, and how you are feeling. Listen to that little voice.

I would always recommend a Drysuit in Gore. The water is always cold, the walls are high (ie not a lot of direct sun), and the swims can be long. You should always dress for a swim not for a portage.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #20
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The beta I got on my first gore run was "when you first see tunnel you will not want to run it but run it anyways"
if you paddle with Bank and break your paddle he will make you a paddle out of rocks and a stick.
drysuits are for pansies like crazy nate!

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote

beta, gore, late, season, tunnel