Old 08-18-2009   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Although I've seen people swim sneaking toilet bowl, I've never seen anyone swim who actually followed the proper directions: "go as far left as you can go". I guess I haven't actually witnessed anyone swim running the gut either, but I don't witness many people running the gut. If I had a boof like Christian there's a lot of things I'd run that I don't currently, but until then I'll probably just sneak the drop and then bitch about it.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #12
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I ran the sneak for the first time in quite a while the other day, that's sketchy!!

Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #13
niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
1300-1500 gore levels

Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
I highly doubt that you'll ever see 1500 on race day, a couple factors as to why:
#1. commercial trips cut off at 1300-1350, the blm definitely takes this into account (did you notice the new boat slide thingy this year?)
#2. every gumby that MIGHT be able to handle gore comes in there that weekend, at 1500, they'd nearly all walk out of the canyon without their boats & the emergency crews would be overwhelmed.
There are maybe 100 people that would like to see it at that level, but I think as for the general health of the event that lower flows are better. (I'm a tad biased, I don't make much money if the rafts stop running it!)

No offense to the people trying it for the first time, that's the day I'd choose as well!

for all people in there for the 1st time...

that might explain why it gets a little lonely in there at those levels- having run it at 1000-1300 before the past few years, I never would have guessed that it would get that much tougher at 1500-1700- that is until I ran it at those levels- I agree with the safety aspect- for rafts- but then again, I don't kayak- and the Hilleke crowd seemed to handle it OK at those levels
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #14
Eagle-Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Gore Canyon Race 2009 - Waterflows must be NO higher than 1450 cfs in order to be able to run the race; this is what the insurance info states; Our commercial cutoffs are generally 1250-1300 cfs. Optimal flows for commercial and race day are really about 1100 cfs; this allows for all boaters to be reasonably comfortable. I have put a bunch of effort into putting on this race so let's hope that we do not see flows above what we can run; PLEASE CROSS YOUR FINGERS EVERYONE!! I would also assume that a lot of outfitters have trips booked for this weekend, therefore, water folk, if you are reading please help us out..... Lisa Reeder/Gore Canyon Race 2009

timberline is offline   Reply With Quote