Old 01-24-2014   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This video was very well done. This technology is going to revolutionize the way adventure sports are filmed, i guess it already is. Very cool!

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #22
Victoria, Bc
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks Goldcamp! I'm excited to hear your comments! Yes, every time I've been flying and filming has ended up with the same sort of results. It's easy to produce a 'wow' effect when it's such a unique perspective. I feel pretty lucky.

Kyle: One crazy thing about the shaky cam look is that some camera gimbals/stabilizers actually shake the camera with motors. So the camera operator just holds the unit and it shakes for as far as technique goes...well I don't know.

I do feel super lucky to be here on Vancouver island, but I have to admit from a kayaking point of view I don't have enough experience to fully appreciate it yet. I'm sure the next time I visit the prairies I'll have a new perspective

gCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #23
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You may have seen this before, but just in case you have not:

This blog is what got me through the winters and sank the hook deeper for my love of boating. This crew puts out some absolutely amazing footage with a similar tone. I believe they also have some Vancouver Island clips. A lot of their overhead shots were set up (pre drone) by rigging cameras or persons on lines which you can likely appreciate as a climber.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #24
Victoria, Bc
-k-. I hadn't seen that. I took a little look and there's some great footage there. It seemed like a lot of their posts were dated 2011 and before. Any idea if these guys are still doing this sort of thing?

Yes, being a climber I like the idea of camera operators hanging off of canyon walls!
Old 01-25-2014   #25
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
This technology is going to revolutionize the way adventure sports are filmed, i guess it already is.
no doubt. one issue that is currently being addressed by a new startup is the bulky size of most quads..... a pocket sized quad with payload capacity for a gopro or up to 1/2 lbs. pretty interesting, if it works. something to keep an eye on for a kayakers, backpackers,climbers,ect. with very limited space/weight constraints.

A Drone That Snaps Photos, Then Folds Up and Fits In Your Pocket

it seems pretty basic without gimbals,ect. but certainly opens up some possibilities too.

of course, you still need to put in your time at the controls to know how to fly those things too. a very unique skill set with spendy consequences for failure, for sure.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #26
Victoria, Bc

you couldn't be more right about the bulk issue. I wished I could have brought the big setup down to all of the Gordon River rapids. The footage quality from that rig is in a completely different ballpark than the GoPro. But in that area I would have had to hire a 'real' helicopter to drop my RC helicopter at the river

I like that little drone! I like that its small and inconspicuous. Now I can really get into the spy game

you mentioned putting time in. no doubt. However manufacturers are hyper-aware of the upcoming demand of these things and realize that most people who want to fly haven't spent countless hours at the local practice field let alone had any experience. So they're making these easier and easier to fly. There are even quad models now that allow you to fly with your ipad (or similar). Tilt the pad forward and the thing goes forward. Pretty slick!

Until then...yes..."spendy consequences" indeed. Everyone in this business/hobby seems to have had or will have their fair share (or more) of |costly| downtime. The quote from the hobby shop I believe was "if you're not crashing, you're not flying". ugh.