Old 05-15-2011   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
GoPro Attachment

Just got a GoPro as a gift. Wondering how to keep my fancy new toy off the bottom of the river. What do you guys do that have them?

Apologies in advance as I feel like I read about this on here before, but couldn't seem to find the topic thread tonight.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #2
White City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to kayaker1976
I use a piece of rope to connect it to my helmet, I've replaced one housing and one lense so far, the camera has been soaked twice and the power button has some damage but it's still going strong. Don't forget to rain x the lense before going I carry a small bottle in my drysuit pocket to treat the lense again if on a longer run.

kayaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #3
i don't know if you found a answer or not I use these as well as tie it to you helmet saved mine a couple times
timberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #4
The standard sticky helmet mount has held up well for me. I do back it up with a little metal cable leash I made. That leash has a little mini-carrabiner that I clip to another little cable loop attached to my helmet.

I also put a mount on the deck of my kayak - just in front of the anchor point in front of the cockpit. That mount I screwed to the deck since it takes a lot more punishment. There I can clip the leash to the deck anchor.

So far - so good.

Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #5
kayaker1976 - did your housing fail and let in water while it was still intact? Or did you break the housing?
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
The chesty harness works well and its more protected down low. Its also easy to see when your on/off, filming/not filming. You only get footage of where your body is pointed though.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
I use fishing line to tie it on, I'm scared that if I used something that I couldn't break if it got snaged on something.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #8
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Kayaker1976- I too would like some info on your gopro that got soaked and returned to life. I've got one that died with just a bit of moisture in the housing. Any tips to revive it?
Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #9
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The foam pads that come with it are bomber if you are careful about the surface prep. Clean with MEK and Alcohol, dry, attach and then apply heat and pressure for a day or so.

I put a car jack inside my helmet and pressed it into the bottom of a work bench with a space heater pointed at the area for 48 hours. It hasn't budged.

For the backup strap, I have a 10" piece of p-cord that loops around the black base and goes to my chin strap.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #10
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks all. Good advice from everyone. I'll mix and match it into something that works best for me. I like the clip idea from Tom, the fishing line from Tom Jr., and the girthing the base from Brandob9.

Excited to try this thing out. If it stays dry here in Denver this afternoon, I'll post up some sik footy of me mowing my lawn and picking up dogshit.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote