Old 09-18-2006   #1
Good Westwater play levels?

I've heard Westwater has great play at low water. At what level does it get good? It's at 5000 now.

Is it worth the flat water? Or does it make no sense doing Westwater with the M-wave up?

The good play spots are at Little D, Sock-it-to-me, and Last Chance? How's Bowling Alley?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
If you're going for just play, M-Wave is the way to go. You go to WW for the trip as a whole. The camping, drinking, paddling, scenery etc. At 5 grand, you can wave wheel the whole way down. Sock-it-to-Me is definately good between 3,000 and 5,000. I think Bowling Ally comes out around 3,800. I'm pretty sure it's gone at 5. Little D is good at 5. At 3900-4000 the hole right above THE HOLE in Skull rapid is awesome. When you come off the wave, you'll probably be heading straight through THE HOLE but it's not bad at that level. There's play in everything from Surprise and Funnel to Last Chance at these levels, but those are the highlights. I can't remember when Last Chance is good.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #3
M-wave is better, and I really like Fluffy Muffin, if its in.

Westwater is best below 6000. Little D is prime near 4500. Count is right on with Sock. Bowling Alley is my favorite play, but I like it really low. 2500 is sick. Last Chance is best below 4000. Plenty of other small spots, but again, you do the run as a whole, and the play isn't as good as the park and play spots.

It is totally fun to paddle westwater in a day. I've even done back to back day trips, and its fine. Camping on the river is nice, but not mandatory.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote