Old 03-28-2007   #1
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Good time to go to New Zealand

So I might have a five month hookup in NZ but it wouldn't be until Feb. Is this a good time to go? That whole northern/southern hemisphere hurts my head. Oh and just out of curiosity can some one else edit my profile, cause I don't remember calling my self a 185lb waste of space. And by the way I have been working out getting swoll. 186.8lb

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Umm...which Admin are you friends (enemies) with?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
I had visited the South Island a while back in Feb - May. The weather was great for treking, flat water, swimming and general farting around. It started to snow in late March. I wasn't boating at the time, so I looked at rivers with a differnt set of eyes, but I recall swollen turquise colored rivers...even without snow melt, there's alot of rain in those parts. If in the S. Island, you must checkout Teanu, the Kepler Track (near Teanu), Queenstown (wierd extreme sports capital), and Stewart Island is definitly worth the trip. Bring your gum boots 'n sip a Speights. Live on meat pies, fish and chips and beer for $10 a day. Hitchin' is easy and (relatively) safe. Have fun and when in doubt, claim to be Canadian.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #4
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Prime time for NZ boating is November through March (their summer). We got into some great heli access stuff on the West Coast South Island around Easter when we were there. With 5 months you should be able to cram in most of classics if you are game. I would suggest flying to Christchurch, getting a vehicle somehow (we got a sweet ride for $350 at an auto auction), drive to Murchison and do some warming up on the bevy of class III-IV stuff there. When you've made some contacts and gotten your feet wet head to Hokitika and hope for high pressure, or else the heli won't fly. If you want to do heli runs I suggest the Arahura, Whitcombe, Upper Hokitika (with a solid bunch of locals), Perth, Whataroa, Kakapotahi. You should also head down to fjordland and check out the Hollyford. Then there is always the Kawarau (sp?) down near Queenstown, decent play and huge rapids at Nevis Bluff, there are also some good creeks in that area.

The North Island has some great runs, but it will take at least a day of traveling to get to them from the South Island. Up there I recommend the Kaituna, Wairoa, Rangitikei, and Mangahao (if it is releasing). There are also sick surf breaks all over the country, so that is your best option for playboating. Get Grahm Charles' guide book for the real scoop.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote