Old 12-07-2005   #1
the fort, Colorado
good places to live near CO Springs

my family could be moving down to the Blackforest area, is this a good place to live? Where's the best moving water down there?

prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry about your luck, bro...there is no good place to live around Co.Springs because it's far from everything cool. The closest moving water that's commonly boated is either the Royal Gorge or the Pueblo WW Park. Pueblo's about 45min and the gorge is maybe an hour 15 to the put in.

On the other hand, if you mountain bike you're all set. Sweet trails abound.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #3
That sucks your leaving the fort for the springs. Blackforest is even further from the water then the springs. Deckers is about 45 mins.
MPEARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Freaking humbug, you jackasses!

The Springs is a great place for a boater. This was my first season and I had great options.

First, as mentioned, Pueblo's WW park is awesome. About 3/4 of a mile with 6 features (we'll see how play goes with them next year, they're doing some mods as this was its first year) and usually you see 5 people there... Eat it, Golden...

Parkdale on the Arkansas, solid Class III, fun run that you can get down to and back in about 6 hours from rendesvous to rendesvous (1:15 driving each each way, 3 hours boating, and lunch at Alfonso's Super Taco in Canon City!).

As mentioned, the Gorge is there, mostly Class IV at higher water.

You're another hour away from Salida when you are down in Canon City and their playpark. Then you have two ways to get to all the Arkansas runs; Browns, Numbers, Fractions, etc. Closer than Denver by far. Now, I don't know how this compares to the Poudre and such, but really, Colorado Springs is in a better position to access all the Arkansas locales than Denver.

Boating is GREAT here.

Get in our club:

It is a GREAT club, lots going on, lots of outings that are organized and people are great boaters. We start pool sessions in mid January. Hope to meet you!
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #5
pnw, Washington
Do I get a free IPOD if I respond? Sorry, had to take the shot. We have water within two hours and it is good but there is absolutely nothing local. Black Forest is just as good a place to live as anywhere else around here. Has its own problems but its away from most of the Colorado Springs problems. I would say it is a growth area and you would have to work at it to loose money on your house.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #6
C. Springs, Colorado
The forest is notably cooler and receives more moisture than the Springs. Kind of like living in the mountains without the up/down part.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005   #7
Yeah Pueblos park is huge when it's running. You can run a tanker down it :P When I lived there I had to drive for a while unlike now where I'm ten mins. from the poudre. Just prepare to drive and allow focus on the family run your life. No more sponge bob for you (shh hes gay).
MPEARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #8
oh yeah
"Boating is GREAT here." sure, you just ahve to drive at least 45 minutes to get to it and 45 minutes yields the Pueblo Whitewater Park and Deckers. i'm packing my bags as we speak!

and i love this one: "You're another hour away from Salida when you are down in Canon City". this almost makes salida sound close.

sorry, just feeling cynicial.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #9
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Oh freakin' WAH, folks!
Do you guys know how much I'd trade to have a playpark within 45 min of my house, much less, a couple of creeks or any vert within a couple of HOURS!??

You guys just don't realize how good you have it out there.... yeah, it's Dec and I'm still boating, but I'd give just about anything for a "backyard" run or a "home river" within 2.5 hrs of here (we claim the Ocoee). Plus, throw in the snow, the mountains, the climbing, the hiking, and the people, and it doesn't matter where in CO you are. Anyone who wants to trade for a couple of weeks in beautiful (ha), sunny (um...) Tennessee (okay, fine, we have rhinestones here-- they're our most abundant natural resource here in Nashvegas) , just PM me and let me know, 'kay?
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #10
This might sound pretty gay ,but I always wanted to huck that falls in Castlewood canyon.I saw it once with enough water ,there is also an irrigation ditch with a little gradient and some curves near that dilapidated old dam.
I have heard of someone running some falls near Manitou Spgs. also.
11 mile canyon,too.Cheeseman Canyon if you're really good

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote