Old 06-08-2009   #21
Lakewood, Colorado
One more thing about rescue vests...there are basically three "levels" of force to release the belt. You can go in the metal buckle once, twice, or not at all. Going through it twice will be the strongest but also the most difficult to get out of, while just using the plastic buckle will be weak but easy to release. Something to consider.

FWIW, I only use my tow for paddles and calm ferries, and I'm going to start carrying a cockpit cover for ferrying. I've seen some damn good boaters clip in to swamped creekboats in class IV water and pull it to shore like nothing, but I'm nowhere near that good.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #22
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Neverever! Rope and current?

I don't care what anybody says, I would neverever clip a water filled boat to my body in moving water! quick release or not!
As far as technique years of practice,go with the flow, don't get yourself in trouble....... but squaring up and nudging with the flow to slower water seems to work, one yaker at a time, stay out of each others way.
You can even get a flipped raft to shore in the Grand by pushing with nose on tube..........

ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #23
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I've hooked a ton of boats on runs from clear creek to gore canyon, I wouldn't do it in the middle of a nasty rapid, but I've never had to pull the release. I can never get a boat to bump to where I want it, so I flip it cockpit up & try to clip it from the front, works for me.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #24
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Always paddle with people better than you, and you will never chase a boat again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #25
Leadvillian, Colorado
there's a lot of good advice already in this thread, but I thought it might be good to reiterate using eddys

I try and grab a handle and scoot or nudge the boat with my bow into an eddy as quickly as possible and maybe even drain the boat over the bow before towing it, quickness is key in that these things only seem to get worse with momentum

which also leads me to say that good paddlers stay close to each other in challenging whitewater, so try and stay as tight as is safe

as for towing, if you ever have a run-in with your quick release and it doesn't release you become a lot more conservative about clipping in

remember it's just a kayak... unless you're running some of the most remote canyons on the planet losing a boat is not a life threatening proposition

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote