Old 10-09-2005   #1
Good kayak for the Grand?

Anyone have suggestions for types of kayaks that would be good for running through the Grand Canyon?

tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #2
what ever you are most comfy in. Some days can be long. If your a solid class IV paddler you'll have WW fun regaurdless of boat type. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #3
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
any boat that is fast, lots of the big waves you have to catch on the fly. comfort is also key as anyone will tell you, also having a built in beer coozie is a plus.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #4
ZG ZG ZG I took a ZG 54 this may and loved it!
flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #5
Take your playboat if you're into that. Just got off the grand and took my LL vision 56 and loved it. I'm not sure if a longer boat would have mattered for surfing. The waves I found worth surfing were all big enough and steep enough to hold me regardless of boat length. Comfort is key for those 20 mile days......
brandonschmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #6
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
Prijon Fly
alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #7
I thought i would get ripped as old school for saying Fly . But that is the boat i had the most fun in down there. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #8
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I took a G-Force and it was fine. Comfort is a huge issue. I wish I had my EZG then, b/c it would have made it a little nicer, but still it wasn't a big deal. There were a surprising number of small holes that we could play in with spuds. My bro took a Switch, and was able to catch a couple more waves, but paid for it with foot pain. I would say go spud or go big (Fly, H3, Diesel, Hammer). Don't take something that gives a marginal return on play in exchange for pain like my friend did.

Really, just ask yourself, would I rather front surf really big waves (fast), or would I rather huck over them (air!) -- that will tell you which boat to bring.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #9
18' cat. Comfortable yes, makes every rapid more challenging and fun if you have never rowed one. You can front surf them on several of the waves. Then bring a kayak to surf with or trade off with other guys kayaking., all the ladies on your trip will want to hang out. beer holders, safety supplies, sunshine.

mankster is offline   Reply With Quote