Old 06-21-2011   #1
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
Good IK run?

I am looking for some good beginner to intermediate level runs for inflatable kayaks. We are planning a multi-day trip and I need something for day 3.

Day 1: The San Rafael through Little Grand Canyon
Day 2: Muddy Creek through the chute

For day 3 I was thinking of the Sevier near Big Rock Candy Mountain, but according to the news, the Sevier is in flood stage. Does anyone know if it is still safe to run that stretch?

We also have a time constraint. Some of our group need to be back to Ogden before 5:00 PM.

I have considered:
* Grays Canyon - but it is running over 40,000 cfs, which seems too high for IKs.
* Price River - how is the upper section above the canyon? The section from Woodside to the Green is too long.
* Provo River - years ago I kayaked the part below Deer Creek down to Vivian. I haven't been through there since the new road was constructed. Would that make a nice IK run? How about below Nun's Park? I know a lot kayak it - is it too technical for IKs?

Any recommendations or suggestions?

DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007

The Sevier through Marysvale Canyon from Big Rock is a solid intermediate run at any level. At the current stage it is pretty challenging.

What day will you be on the San Rafael? I will be there this saturday.

dak_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
I suspect the Sevier would have been a great run today. I think the flow has dropped some, based on the out flow from Piute Reservoir. But I had to abandon my day 3 option due to car problems. Half of my group went over to run it, but I haven't yet heard their report.

We ran the San Rafael on Thursday. It was a very nice run. The water was about 1670 cfs. It was flooding at the put-in and there were numerous channels through the willows and tamarisk. It was a little intimidating at the put-in to see how it was flooding the banks. And then the warning sign about the downed Cottonwood tree made us stop and think. Someone posted a photo of the tree and how you could bypass it due to the high water, so we decided to press on. When the water drops, that tree will be a serious obstacle.

Even at this flow it took us 6 hours - which included a lunch stop and a short hike in Virgin Spring Canyon.

Even though most of our group prefers white water, everyone enjoyed the trip.

The next day we floated Muddy Creek through the Chute. I think the flow was between 250 and 300, and it was a total blast. It is so fun and unusual.
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
Same deal for us. The put in was quite spectacular looking with all the water. The downed tree was no problem getting around. Our group are also mostly whitewater boaters but everyone really enjoyed floating the San Rafael.
dak_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote