Old 01-31-2007   #11
rock island, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1984
Thor: 22$, EVS 17$ Ridegear

thanks for the deal!

I've had great results with my EVS Option elbow pads - worn them since 98 replacing them about every 3-4 yrs. They were 'Thor' back then. This is the same model only cheaper. Adjust the tri-glide carefully for bent-elbow comfort. No Velcro!

Ordered a pair of new Thor's now - 22$ and while one side velcro came unsewn (now fixed) they are lighter and offer more protection - still don't slip.

Check it -

clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #12
Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
The Stohlquist Blam's have been great for me. They are lined with that sticky water specific material, similar to the stuff on the inside of their pfd's. The material grips really well to your drytop. I never have an issue with them slipping, only slighty when I'm wearing a shorty. Great comprimise between articulation and protection with the thin flexible plastic.

They must not be making them any more, this is the only place I found em'. On Sale To!!!

progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

Ive had the Stohlquist pads for a few years now. Love the wrap around impact protection. Especially nice on the inside of the elbow. Great ease of movement. My only con is that the material the velcro is attached to wore out after the first year and is now allowing less and less attachment as it streches further and further. Starting to slide down a bit over the course of a day.

Anyone whos been using the fox have any pros/cons about their mobility and or fit. How is the coverage inside the elbow? What about longevity?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #14
Reno, Sierra Nevada
Paddling Since: 99?
bump her

any new opinions out there? time to replace the old ones...

thanks all

Golder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #15
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by Golder View Post

thanks all

I've been using the Shred Ready elbow pads for years. They are relatively inexpensive and I love the forearm protection but they slip down a little bit over the course of the day and you have to slide them back up. Tsunami Elbow Pads- Products of Shred Ready, Inc.

I'll probably be looking for something else soon.

I forgot to slide my Shred Ready's up on Escalante during my first day this year, got stuck in a slot, and hit my elbow hard enough that it now feels just like the other elbow did before I had surgery to remove bone chips that I got from repeated smacking while kayaking.

By the way, if you have pointy elbows with bone chips in them I highly recommend the surgery. The operated-on elbow is nice and round and takes shots nicely. I even do Muay Thai elbow strikes onto pads with no pain, though it probably took at least a year after surgery before I wanted to full-on hit something with that elbow. The untouched elbow is pointy, it is full of bone chips, and it hurts to rest it on the table.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #16
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lacrosse elbow pads

Picked up a pair of Lacrosse elbow pads (STX brand) from Play-it-again for 10 bones. They work well but they do slide down a bit...just another cheap option.

I think I'm going to get some of the Fox pads that Nick was posting about...
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
SixSixOne Race
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #18
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Pro-tec skateboarder elbow pads are the bomb. I had the NRS ones that cover your forearms as well. A little overkill IMO.

Originally Posted by Golder View Post

thanks all

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #19
Skywalker Construction, LLC
The sixsixone race!
HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
I think I'm going straight for the full impact rig:
Thor 2007 Impact Rig SE

Once I've got that I'll just tighten down my full face helmet and stop scouting or portaging. Now the Black Canyon will require way less effort.

I actually picked up the SixSixOne shortsleeve version of this a few years ago after jamming my shoulder up underneath the Magnetic Wall.

I'll break it out of the more full-contact mank runs, and it's not too uncomfortable or restrictive. The newer version have a plastic articulated spine, which would be overkill under a PFD. Mine ('05, I think) has soft foam on the spine and chest, so it's OK underneath my drytop. But the plastic shoulder caps are nice- Beats having a jacked wing from taking a shot underwater on a roll setup. Also, it makes you feel like Steve Atwater going out to level some running back.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote