Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-17-2009   #11
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Bingo hole was fun and fairly easy to make. Three of us basically told some guy with a bobcat what to do and where to put the rocks. It took maybe 15 minutes for that thing to go from par to preimo!

Then of course they destroyed it the next fall.

This was the last fun feature Golden has had

Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
First. We still do not have a hole that you can complete a quality loop in, with out ramming your feet into the concrete. If Lawson can be so good at 300 cfs why cant golden? It is ridiculous that even at 800 cfs there isn't a good big air feature in the park.

Second. Waves are the future of this sport, and what everybody is looking for right now. While they are the hardest to get right they are worth every penny. People flock to even small waves. Remember Hawaii 5-0 two years ago. That was by no means a big surf wave, hell it was more of a hole, but even the green left shoulder was a blast for wave moves. People came form all over for Union. When was the last time that happened (before two years ago).

Third. So many drops are wasted space. Everybody (kayakers, boogie boarders, swimmers, and sometimes tubers) seems to hag out at the features designed for kayaking. So why then do we only have two features that are really designed for kayaking? The rest seem to be a waste.

Fourth. The number of kayakers in Golden has seemed to drop off in the past few years. If we do not update the features, and make the park more interesting for the people who consistently boat there we are going to see numbers continue to decline.

I am glad we are bringing up dredging. This is a necessity, I have seem so many good parks turns into absolutely nothing because of sediment build up. Green River Wy. is the prime example of how sediment build up effects a feature. That hole was better than Salida, and now it is nothing.

This is what I see, take it or leave it.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #12
Indian Hills, Colorado
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
I noticed a digger in the channel this afternoon and some large boulders in the channel above the traditional put-in for the current slalom course/ww park. Are they adding new features or dredging?
Fish habitat I think.

My only suggestion is for the last drop in the upper part of the park. There's some real gradient to work with at that spot. Maybe it could be turned into a Lawson-style hole?

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #13
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Why does the city waste so much money? The proportion of kayakers to fisherman in the park is easily 20 to 1 and that is very conservative estimate in my opinion. So why does the city spend their alloted budget for the park on fish habitat? It is economically un-sound, because it is not turning them a profit the way we do. Not to mention all of the bronze sculptures of animals at the end of the park. What is the point? It seems like they have wasted their alloted budget over the past few years. I understand beautifying a city, but we all know how much money kayaking has brought to the city of Golden over the past 10+ years. Why don't they take better care of us? If they did maybe they would see increases in the revenue from the park. Why is the city council unwilling to give back the the kayakers who have given so much to the city of Golden (even beyond tax revenue)?

Sorry just venting I guess.
"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #14
Boulder / Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think that Golden is a great course but needs improvement.
maybe a little work should be done on the features but mostly the traffic around the place is pretty bad.
Just watching a slalom race or watching freestyle, it is chaotic with the bike path rite there. I think establishing the other side of the river as a viewing place, and building some type of bridge that isnt all the way down by the library. Great course but needs some money and time put into the logistics.
wii2tha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #15
Arvada, 80003
Wii has a good point. It is such a cluster on busy days.

Yet I feel many would disagree that we have a great course. It has seen far better days, and compared to many of the white water courses around the state we pale in comparison. Golden used to be an intriguing destination for paddlers. Now I know people that wouldn't drive 15 minutes out of their way to get there. Or I know paddlers that live less than 20 minutes away who would rather drive 45 minutes to Lyons, or an hour to Lawson. Keep in mind lawson was put together by a couple of guys on their own, not a city with funding, heavy equipment, and people who are paid large amounts of money to design park features. It is a disgrace that Golden is in the shape its in!

Sorry, I will stop now.
Old 03-18-2009   #16
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Does anybody know the purpose of that new bridge about a quarter mile up the dirt trail (past rt 6)? Is this the fabled "bridge to nowhere".
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #17
I am a biased opinion, but I think the most bang for the buck and long term viability solution is make one feature a premier freestyle feature that is an adjustable feature like Vail but even more adjustable and more sick(About $200k-$300k). Then just leave the rest of the park alone because it is a cool course. The adjustable feature also solves the sedimentation problem because you can just adjust it to blow out the sediment. The adjustable feature is pretty much the only way to really take the park to the next level if that is the goal. Otherwise the Golden Park is very cool considering it was very inexpensive to build, there was no whitewater there before and it was one of the first ones built. That park was definitely at the very forefront of what whitewater parks are. Now it needs an adjustable feature to be there again.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #18
Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996

The work upstream right now is not funded by the City of Golden. It is a Trout Unlimited project and their permit. The goal was to get fishers out of the course itself and move them to their own special area designed just for fish habitats.
Second.... yes we have brought a lot of finances to the City (tax and other) but do they owe us????? NO way dude!

We need to work together in trying to communicate these issues and working with the City to make 'more better- Happen'.

Yes to movable structures.... a bladder based structure to shape the floor and walls into the feature. It is difficult in a river that has such a large variance in flows, but yes... something can be done.

More importantly we need to improve the whole of Clear creeks whitewater park. Yes, It is falling behind.

For 2010 and 2011 there is 50k set aside to work on the river itself.

The other side of the river.... the fence is coming down in the next couple weeks, which will open up access and parking on the other side to minimize the rifraf from the bikepath.

The new trail that extends from the lower bridge and the upper dirt trail to nowhere bridge are being connected by a trail along river right. You can see the start of that work now across from the middle of the course. It is happening... I swear

I am working to establish the Advisory group that includes ALL USERS.... I need volunteers who are interested in team work and think tank work to make this park better for all, yes the kayakers too.

More active.. GOOD features spread out the users of all types and make it better for all.

I met with the Parks board last night to express all these issues and they want to HELP get the park where it needs to be.... the BEST URBAN WHITEWATER PARK IN THE STATES. This is how it started out... now it is at the bottom... their ears are open!

Now .. send me an email to volunteer for the think tank/advisory board.

FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #19
Arvada, 80003
Wow, really, you don't think the city of Golden owes you something for all of the work you have done there? All the community out reach we as paddlers have made in the city of Golden? All the funds we have brought in from the events we put on, and the after parties we hold at local restaurants? You don't think the city of golden owes you something, anything, for the sales tax you pay every time you fill up, or take the kids out for food? Their revenue from the park is in the Millions every year. Of course they owe us something that is our money! (by the way I am not a republican, as you might be assuming that right now)

This is the problem as I see it. We go around begging for funding, crossing our fingers, sitting through public hearings, making presentations, and hoping against hope that the city council might actually make a good decision on how to spend the park budget. That there might actually be a decent feature in the park again, someday. Know that your government is suppose to work for you, my friend! that is the principal behind this country. John Locke states "that if the government does not represent the people interest, and protect the peoples rights. Then the citizens have a responsibility to rise up against the government."

Maybe a bit extreme but I hope you realize that the city council works for you, and I. We don't owe them a damn thing!!! They owe us everything!!! That why they sit in office, we hired them. You and I are their bosses. Make sure those punks stay on task. LOL.

I realize 50k is a lot of money, but it pales in comparison to the revenue the park has generated. It is almost a penny on the side walk!
Old 03-18-2009   #20
Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
I realize 50k is a lot of money, but it pales in comparison to the revenue the park has generated. It is almost a penny on the side walk!
TheKid, $50k is not enough money to make that park epic. One thing that may be holding the Golden park back is $50k here and there Band-Aids. The city gets tired of that. You need $500k at a minimum. If you saved up all the $50k's you spent over the years and did a sick, adjustable feature's $500k fix, you would save a lot of $50k's down the road. The community puts $50k into the park then complains that the builders did a shitty job. You can't do anything permanent for $50k. A new school bus is $300k and it does'nt bring any money into the city. New playground equipment is $300k. Are you really going to put in money every year to fix it? Remember that the Golden WW Park will be in that river for 50, 100, 200 years. The school bus is good for 20. Will boaters still be going to the city coucil in 75 years for one more upgrade? You gotta go for the big bucks and stop complaining that the $50k upgrade that was done was not epic enough. The city did a formal economic impact assesment of that park by Stratus Consulting and they determined that it brings in $2.1 million per year. Put $500k into the park and call it good for 50 years. Get out of the Band-Aid Cycle.

Even if you only get 10 years out of a $500k fix.

10 years X $2,100,000/year = $21 million

$21 million - $500k = $20,500,000

You're right the city owes you, and that may be a good attitude to bring if you do it carefully and respectfully.

It's the perfect Economic Stimulous Project.
A project that puts engineers, surveyors, construction workers and contractors to work, then keeps bringing money into the city for decades. Plus gives the city incredible free advertising for decades. Ditch the Band-Aid cycle and do it right. It's almost better to let it fall into disrepair for a couple years and refuse to take anything less than $500k from the city.

You just saved 2 cents right there.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote